It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:33 pm 

Colorado is on the verge of losing, which could be good for us...but possibly very bad for Drake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 pm 

Colorado will be a 4 or 5 minimum. Won't affect us, but will hurt Drake.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am 

I swear to God if we get an 8 or worse seed I am going to doxx the hell out of CBS Bracketologist Jerry Palm...who lives in Schererville Indiana.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:27 am 

After the first 4 seeds, the committee is not ranking the teams. A seed is not the same as ranking. Remember that the committee does not put teams from the same conference in the first weekend pods. That means each of the 9 Big Ten teams needs to be in separate pods. The 8 ACC teams need to be in separate pods, etc. It makes it a little more difficult to compose the brackets. I want us to be in a pod that we can win. I don't care if they make us a 16 seed as long as its a good match up for us.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 am 

Really hope Drake makes it. Especially with Hemphill (supposedly) back. I just have trouble seeing it, especially with Oregon St and G-Town stealing bids. And Cincy potentially stealing one today. I really think they deserve it and can cause an unlucky 5 seed a headache.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:46 am 

Drake deserves but since they behaved like yahoos when they beat us in overtime, if they miss out, "oh well!"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:20 am 

Rambler88 wrote:
After the first 4 seeds, the committee is not ranking the teams. A seed is not the same as ranking.

While this might be technically true, the committee does create a list of seeds 1-68, which looks to me a lot like ranking teams:

Quote:
The committee creates a seed list 1 through 68 — which is used to assess competitive balance of the top teams across the four regions of this national championship. Additionally, the seed list reflects the sequential order with which teams will be placed in the bracket.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... selections

There are certain constraints besides relative team rank/seed affecting the bracket, such as conference affiliation, which you mentioned. But travel considerations shouldn't be a consideration this year, as all games are being played in Indiana.

My bottom line is I still think Loyola will get screwed in their seeding for being a mid-major.

I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:30 am 

I really thought last weekend we were going to be a 7 seed. Waking up today, I think it's going to be 8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am 

If they went by straight NET (10) we would be the second 3 SEED.

If they went by straight KenPom (9) we would be the first 3 SEED.

If they went by the straight Poll (18) we would be the second 5 SEED.

Those three averaged would make us a second or third 4 SEED. 14-15h

If you start factoring in the strength of schedule and “quality wins,” if they put us at an 8 seed, they’ve essentially decided to drop us from the 14th best statistical/voted team to the 29th, 30th, 31st or 32nd best team in this tournament. That’s a 15 to 18 seed downgrade based on a schedule we had little control over, and still managed double-digit wins in 18 of our 24 victories. Also, unlike Gonzaga, there were times we let off the gas or we could have had 3 to 5 40+ point wins. Also keep in mind we NEVER slipped up at home, and unless Drake gets in, we are the only one that took no breaks and played an entire conference schedule.

If you want to knock us down 20 spots in a 64 team field because of our schedule - FINE. but knocking us down 15 to 18 spots is an insult. Knocking us down 19+ spots means the fix is in.

Go back and look at the 2013-2014 Wichita State schedule when they got the 1 seed. Granted they went undefeated, but their best team wins were Tennessee at home and Alabama on the road. Creighton was gone in the MVC. Their schedule was not much better than ours overall, and they took no penalty for it with the committee.

We DESERVE a 7 or higher. If we don’t get it, I hope Porter uses it as motivation for the team. I’ve watched Michigan, Ohio State, and even Gonzaga .... the GAP between them and us is not as far as people think....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:49 am 

I'm with you 100% Toledo!

I don't see how the NCAA selection committee can blithely ignore our #10 NET ranking. I mean the NET is an NCAA creation, for cripes sake.

And isn't strength of schedule supposed to be baked into it? It seems to me citing "strength of schedule" as a reason to discount our NET ranking flies in the face of its rationale and intended use. It's being punished twice for the same offense. Double jeopardy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next