It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:39 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
This year, there's even more we don't know than usual, but I don't understand why Kennedy is getting less than 20 minutes a game, especially when our other guards have been inconsistent. If it's defense, I don't know that he's been much worse than anybody else.

Both he and Welch have been dynamite offensively. When the offesne bogs down, it seems reasonable to sub in those guys for Hall and Uguak.

I have no idea why Hall continues to get so much time, I’d also like to see Kennedy get more minutes. Welch is in a weird position right now subbing for Krut, I can’t wait to get Frank back in the rotation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm 

Before I start, we should've won this game. We blew it, but we were also at a disadvantage in some areas. When it comes to scheduling, I think it's important to remember we were preparing for Drake and they were preparing for SIU. Yes, the change was the same for both teams, but how SIU plays especially on defense is a lot closer to our style than Indiana St is to Drake. The plan may not have changed as much for them whereas we had to come up with a different plan in a short time. Also, if the opponent is going to change I'm sure it's easier to be home than go to a different place than your expecting.

During that atrocious run, I put the blame on the players. We changed things up and each time it seemed a player messed up. Krutwig had an uncharacteristic bad pass when he tried to force something. Norris lost it with 1 guy on him. Cooper had the pass with 1 guy on him that turned into a turnover. Most turnovers seemed to be guys forcing it. You'd expect that from freshman, but not the guys who did it. Was it that actual fans were there and that caused issues? Do fans at any level help momentum stay like that?

Defensively that was the worst game in awhile. I don't understand how it was so bad at times. Everyone gets blame on that, coaches and players.

Trying to put a positive spin, maybe this kicks the players into gear a little more. Maybe Porter stars riding hot players more. Winning on the road is going to be tough across the board. I think how we play tomorrow will say a lot about us.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 pm 

This one falls on Porter. He coached the first half well. They got hit in the mouth early, remained calm, pulled Uguak for the rest of the first half, and finished it up with an 8 point lead. That being said, there was a complete mental lapse at the end of the half by all players that cost them a 10 point halftime advantage.

Second half was a different story. Tom Welch was playing great. Krutwig was struggling. Hall was struggling, Williamson was struggling. Uguak was a non factor. Threes weren’t falling and we were struggling to get the ball inside. The absolute right call was to put Krutwig and Welch in together and try to create one-on-ones for them both. But Porter REFUSES TO DO IT. Worse, there’s no way to tell if that’s not the right play because he’s had ample chances to toy with that lineup (illinois state, Illinois state, Chicago state, St. Francis, and Lewis) and never did.

One of two things were going to happen if you put Krutwig and Welch in at the same time in that game. Krut was either going to get one-on-one’s and use his superior ability to score, or krut was going to get the ball in the high post, start backing down, draw the double team, and find Welch underneath the basket.

If Welch can score this well at the five on his own, I bet he can do even more damage on offense when the other team has to worry about Krut. It’s not about foul trouble either. We’ve seen Hutson and he’s just as good as Frank is/was. He’s more than capable of going in at the five-spot with four shooters on the floor if Krut fouls out.

Team was prepared tonight. They built a 13-point lead. We just didn’t make the right adjustments, coaching-wise, in the second half to stop an 13+ point run.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:53 pm 

This game was a definite tale of two halves. I thought we played really well in the first half. The second half was bad.

My takeaways were that we did a poor job of defending against Key. We tend to play good defense, but I can't think of any excuse for giving up 31 points to a single player. Williamson and Uguak have done a phenomenal job in the past against players like AJ Green, but they let the ball down tonight.

Also, we didn't respond to the press well. ISUb hasn't been playing very well this year so far and this was as last minute to them as it was to us. I think we will come back tomorrow and play much better. I hope to see Welch start at the 4 position soon. Each game (besides North Texas) Uguak continues to disappoint. Hall is not playing well on offense, and made some defensive errors tonight. Porter needs to figure out his lineups soon. We're 10 games in to the season. Had we played like this tonight against Drake, we would have lost by way more than 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 pm 

1st post so bear with me.

1) Kennedy is in the dog house until he quits having lapses on D. Porter is willing to sacrifice short term for the benefit of 28 minutes in March for Marquise.
2) Welch may never start at the 4. I would love to see it, but Porter's system is 4 out 1 in. He has been terrific this year, but right now he's in a backup roll at the 5 and we dont have a true 4 in this sytem.
3) P5 jobs and coaching. Tell me the last guy that one at BC. Its all about the players (see Illinois). Underwood is no incredible tactician, neither is Bill Self and maybe not Porter. But, our guy got to a final 4 by developing and recruiting underrated talent to fit his ideal system. I don't recall seeing P5 schools line up for Ingram or Krut, but they sure played like top level P5 guys. That's a huge part of coaching, it is not just in game tactics.
4) Last nights game is meaningless. A sweep by ISU would hurt though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm 

Great 1st post Rambling0101!

Can I call you Four Bits, Half Byte or Nibble?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:06 pm 

haha...dealers choice on the nicknames

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:08 pm 

Rambling - I would agree with you except that Welch can still play in a 4 out offense. He’s not a center. He’s got range. He can shot fake at the three point line and dribble into the lane or fire the three just as Uguak can. He’s not Frank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm 

I like Half Byte myself. Never heard of a computer "nibble" before I came across it googling just now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 pm 

totally agree on Welch's ability to play the 4 offensively. The only thing I wonder is if the staff thinks he cant switch on D in their 1-4 model. I think the kid has improved a ton and is a big asset.
Think back to Evan Boudreaux at Purdue...started the first several games then never played during the NCAA run to the final 8. All of it b/c they found he couldn't switch on D and they switch everything but the 5.
I think Welch is more athletic than Evan. And I really hope to see he and Krut on the floor at the same time. That being said, I trust the man at the helm mixing the concoction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next