It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Schertz to SLU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:12 pm 

As many people expected, hours after the Sycamores lost in heartbreaking fashion in the NIT championship, news broke that Josh Schertz is headed to SLU. Really a great hire. I, along with many on Twitter, am surprised that he's not holding out one more year at ISUb for a top tier P6 job. Supposedly he was in the running for the Louisville job this year. SLU has excellent resources and is probably a top two or three job in the A10, so maybe he is thinking a few years of success there could put him in the running for a blue blood type job.

I expect the Billikens to be competitive right away. Likely that Coach Schertz brings over quite a few ISUb players. Don't be surprised to see Robbie Avilia vs Miles Rubin next year. Hopefully, "Cream Abdul-Jabbar" doesn't view it as a revenge game against the school that supposedly went cold on his recruitment!

Post subject: Re: Schertz to SLU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
As many people expected, hours after the Sycamores lost in heartbreaking fashion in the NIT championship, news broke that Josh Schertz is headed to SLU. Really a great hire. I, along with many on Twitter, am surprised that he's not holding out one more year at ISUb for a top tier P6 job. Supposedly he was in the running for the Louisville job this year. SLU has excellent resources and is probably a top two or three job in the A10, so maybe he is thinking a few years of success there could put him in the running for a blue blood type job.

I expect the Billikens to be competitive right away. Likely that Coach Schertz brings over quite a few ISUb players. Don't be surprised to see Robbie Avilia vs Miles Rubin next year. Hopefully, "Cream Abdul-Jabbar" doesn't view it as a revenge game against the school that supposedly went cold on his recruitment!

When one of the best mid major programs offers you $2m per year, you take the job. It would crazy to stay at Indiana State for another year in hopes of an offer that may never come.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:03 pm 

I’ve known a number of people over the years who either went to Indiana State or are from the Terre Haute area. I saw some of them on TV during the NIT run, and it sucks for them. We went through it when Porter left, and it sucked for us…and they didn’t even make the tournament during their best year in 45 years before their coach left. But, to repeat that, they didn’t make the tournament in their best year in 45 years. That’s why Blers42 is probably correct from Schertz’s perspective: you can’t say no when the money and a job that’s a significant step up overall in resources and opportunity is there. There’s absolutely no guarantee they do better, or even as good next year as they did this year, and after that any of your players you might get to come with you are out of eligibility. And you’re at a University in complete turmoil with no leadership in place from the top down right now. Just a bad situation. And it’s that part that makes it suck even more for ISU…they could lose not just their coach but their entire team with the transfer portal. With no set leadership to hire the replacement.

We were lucky when Porter left that everyone wanted to stay for Drew. That’s rare.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:06 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
When one of the best mid major programs offers you $2m per year, you take the job. It would crazy to stay at Indiana State for another year in hopes of an offer that may never come.

Easy decision. That's life changing money.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:56 am 

Must be nice to have the Chaifetz clan funding their progrum….. I’m reading Schertz met with them during Arch Madness weekend.

If you haven’t read thru some of the 70+ pages on the Sycamore fan site on this subject matter, I’d recommend it.

Can’t wait to play SLU next January.