It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am 

How schadenfreude-alicious would it be if the AAC implosion causes Wichita State to head back to the MVC with their tail between their legs?!? And pay a hefty entry fee for the privilege.

If I were the MVC commissioner I'd allow them back in, but only on the condition they change their name from Shockers to something more reflective of their current fallen state: Prodigal Sons, Boomerangs, Icaruses, Wichita Stateless, or Restockers.

Also, change the name of Koch Arena to Restoration Hardwood, and their motto from "Play Angry" to "Play somewhere...anywhere."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am 

A “beefed up” MVC, and Gonzaga joining the Mountain West is maybe one of the few scenarios where some mid-major type schools survive the mega mergers occurring over the next 5-10 years. I could easily see the NCAA Division 1 being winnowed down to the major football conferences, the Big East, and only three or four other conferences. Money and brand is taking a larger role year after year, and a lot of schools just aren’t going to be able or willing to keep up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:20 am 

Belmont to the MVC! (per reports)

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2021/9/ ... uri-valley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:

Great news! If you haven't been to Nashville before take some time to make a trip and wander around the campus.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:31 am 

Love this quote:

Quote:
From the MVC’s perspective, the conference has taken a step back since Wichita State left for the AAC in 2018. It needs a true powerhouse alongside Loyola, and Belmont is as good a candidate as any to take the mantle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am 

Here is the original report. An interesting quote from that one:

Quote:
I've previously reported that the MVC had interest in UT-Arlington as a possible expansion candidate, although I am told such an addition is not likely at this time. Should the MVC wish to make it an even 12, I'm told there would be no shortage of interested candidates, including schools in the OVC and Horizon League, as well as schools located farther outside the league's more traditional geographic footprint.

Staying at 11 teams could be kind of beneficial for basketball. Can still do the full round robin with a 20 game conference schedule, and give us with two more games against a potential Q1/Q2 opponent every year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 am 

Dansen wrote:
Love this quote:

Quote:
From the MVC’s perspective, the conference has taken a step back since Wichita State left for the AAC in 2018. It needs a true powerhouse alongside Loyola, and Belmont is as good a candidate as any to take the mantle.

Gotta hurt to read that if you're Bradley.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:18 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:37 am 

Very, very smart move by both the conference and Belmont. Especially considering the realignment that is beginning to happen nationally. Having Belmont in hand puts the MVC in a stronger position to make a case for being a strong “non-power conference” alternative for schools left searching for options when their conference implodes.

You have to think there are at least thoughts and conversations on expanding to 12 or more. Murray State is probably begging at this point to be that 12th school. But….is the conference thinking bigger?

And it gives us an excuse to go to Nashville, which is nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:30 pm 

I'm probably in the minority on this, but not a fan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next