It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:49 pm 

The Athletic’s basketball writers did a fun exercise making six conferences of 12 teams with a College Basketball focus.

The Ramblers ended up being the 41st pick by Dana O’Neil in front of a number of power 5 schools. We really fit the theme she was going for, but cool to be somewhat acknowledged as a top 50 CBB program in some way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:36 pm 

so who is in our Conference? were we ahead of Northwestern? Depaul?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:18 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
so who is in our Conference? were we ahead of Northwestern? Depaul?

We were picked in the 7th round, Depaul was picked in the 12th and final round. The first two picks in our conference were Michigan and Michigan State. The last two picks were Dayton and St. John’s. The draft idea was a bit ridiculous. The writers are creating their own lists next week, without a draft.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:13 am 

I will take every win I can get...factual or fictional....!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Let’s get some itchy mid-majors not only anxious to prove their mettle against the big boys, but are good enough. There are no three better in the country than Loyola Chicago, VCU and Dayton.

Even after the last 4 seasons, reading that type of sentence still feels a little surreal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:21 pm 

01grad wrote:
Quote:
Let’s get some itchy mid-majors not only anxious to prove their mettle against the big boys, but are good enough. There are no three better in the country than Loyola Chicago, VCU and Dayton.

Even after the last 4 seasons, reading that type of sentence still feels a little surreal

Amen. For long- suffering Ramblermaniacs like me, 01grad, JCT, brot et. al., Loyola's recent rise to the front ranks of mid-majors still takes some getting used to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:55 pm 

When I was at Loyola, and also Brot before me, we were in the front ranks of the majors. It feels like we are there again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:36 pm 

WE ARE now a Power or at least as some writers say we are--Back in the day we proved it 64's days were the same---now our team must prove it---I believe they will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 pm 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-league-to-meet-about-offering-byu-cincinnati-houston-and-ucf-membership/

The dominos may be beginning to fall, and my guess is it could have an impact on the MVC. Or maybe just us, but either possibly in a good way. If Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF leave the AAC, that’s a major hit. What does Wichita State do? If BYU leaves the WCC for basketball, does Gonzaga jump ship somewhere? Interesting times ahead.

I’m a little surprised Cincinnati is mentioned and not Memphis. That tells me Memphis may already be looking elsewhere, because there’s no way they want to stay in the AAC if those others leave.

The pipe dream would be at least Wichita State and SLU to the MVC, making it easily the best conference outside of the Top 6. Or…the Big East goes all in to expand to 16, and you have to think we’d be on the list of potential schools mentioned (Depaul be damned).

I normally brush those “what ifs” aside…but it might be time to start realistically thinking of what could happen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:21 pm 

Quote:
The pipe dream would be at least Wichita State and SLU to the MVC, making it easily the best conference outside of the Top 6. Or…the Big East goes all in to expand to 16, and you have to think we’d be on the list of potential schools mentioned (Depaul be damned).

Another option is Dayton to join a beefed up MVC. If Dayton jumped from the A-10 to an MVC with Loyola, St. Louis, Wichita State, UNI, a revitalized Drake, a revitalized Missouri State, and SIU coming on.... it would instantly be a better conference than the Mountain West, A-10, WCC, or the remaining AAC. It would rival the Big East and Pac 12 in their down years.

The MVC is going to have to make a choice.... either bump up all the budgets to around where the A10 is now (about $4.3 million per year men's basketball only) or be content to remain a good mid-major league. The biggest impediment to the league attracting region-friendly baskeball only schools like Dayton, Wichita State, and St. Louis is the fact that the cheapskates in our league (the two ISUs, SIU, and Valpo) are not in a position to spend $2.8 million on men's basketball (about the lowest in the A-10). What that really means in raw terms is the advanced scouting, travel, game prep expenses, scheduling power, marketing, and other opportunities to win non-con games is limited. That's why so many higher budget teams beat lower budget teams in non-con games, why mid-majors can't get games with P5s, etc.

If Loyola keeps their budget where it is now (or where I think it is, about $4.2 million), it will only have to bump it up a million or so to be comfortably in the Big East budget range. I don't want to jinx it, but Loyola has done just about everything right in the athletic department since 2016, and in men's basketball since 2014. I think there's a lot of admiration for what the athletic department has done, and there's a chance for our AD to assertively and proactively lead us, this league, other leagues, other teams, to where we want to be at the end of this scramble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next