It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm 

There's a tab on the MVC site's Men's Basketball section under Championship which has a pdf of the tiebreaker for the Covid year Arch Madness.... Here's the relevant section to the Loyola-Drake tiebreaker....

Quote:
Two-way Ties
1. Records in head-to-head competition are compared, with the higher seed going to the team that has won
the most games against the other;
2. If the tied teams did not play each other or split their series, then each team’s record against all common
conference opponents shall be used to determine seeding;
3. If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest common opponent in the conference
standings shall be used to determine seeding;
4. If the teams are still tied, the deadlock will be broken using the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET), as published by
the NCAA on the morning after the final regular-season MVC games. The team with the better NET rating will
receive the higher seed. The NET will not be used if fewer than four Division I non-conference games are played
by each tied team.

According to my reading, when you get down to tiebreaker #3.... the "highest common opponent" right now is Missouri State. As both teams are 2-0 against Missouri State, that would be a tie and throw us to section 4. Which would go to Loyola on the basis of the NET. I see nothing that says that if a tie happens with the highest common opponent, you go down to the next highest until the tie is broken.

Now, if Missouri State loses one or more games to Evansville, and Indiana State sweeps at Valpo, that would put Indiana State in third place. Drake is 2-0 vs. Indiana State, and we split.

There's not really too much difference between the #1 and #2 seed, because both teams will play a team that came out of Thursday. The difference between 2/3 and 6/7 is much bigger. But there's a point of pride involved, and a small advantage in timing and opponent.

Now maybe I have this wrong (some of the lawyers might step in), but my reading says that as of today Loyola has the #1 seed tiebreaker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:23 pm 

I agree with your reading.

However, I asked the same question on MVCfans and Hacksaw (the one who does the great seeding projections replied: From the Valley office, yes, that step in the tiebreaker process is intended to continue on down the chain. This would be similar to how other conferences utilize that type of tiebreaker. [source: http://www.mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 7&start=20]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm 

Wyatt Wheeler said the same thing on Twitter today, saying the Valley office clarified that that tiebreaker goes "down the chain." So if Drake wins out, they are the 1 seed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 pm 

I guess I will be pulling for Bradley this weekend. Any chance that Bradley can beat Drake?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 pm 

Rambler88 wrote:
I guess I will be pulling for Bradley this weekend. Any chance that Bradley can beat Drake?

I don't think so given how many good Bradley are out. But you never know...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:19 pm 

So we need to win and root for Bradley? "the enemy of my enemy is my friend?" And if both teams go 1-1 Drake is in....so only a better conference record will do the trick?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:47 pm 

I think there’s been pretty strong consensus when we’ve discussed this here that your reading is correct, JCT. The rules clearly say what they say.......unless those who have authority to enforce the rules think they say something they don’t really say. The league is judge, jury, and appeals on this, and what they say is what matters. Even if it’s completely wrong.

But, as you also said. I don’t think it really matters a whole lot this year. I think I read where the NIT isn’t giving an autobid to the regular season #1 team this year, so that doesn’t even matter. Loyola and Drake are clearly 1/2. And if they tie, both are considered conference champions. Missouri State and Indiana State are about even at 3/4, and every team after that I view about the same now. Even the time difference of when the games are played Saturday doesn’t appear as bad this year, as they just said today that the semifinal game times have been moved up to noon and 3 (the 2 seed would normally play around 7 or 8).

http://mvc-sports.com/news/2021/2/22/mvc-announces-changes-to-arch-madness-schedule.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 pm 

I would personally rather see Drake beat Bradley and keep their tournament hopes alive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:19 am 

If you want to guess about seedings, there are single game tickets on sale now:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/missouri-v ... ist/854282

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:33 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
there are single game tickets on sale now:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/missouri-v ... ist/854282

Anyone planning on going? Are they having pre-game events?