It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Early Summer Update
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 pm 

Hi everybody.

Apart from a global pandemic, no sports, questions about whether we're going to have any season at all, Great Depression unemployment, and an election coming up, what's new?

Here's a few things I've been thinking about, and I'd welcome any comments and discussion.

1. Two weeks ago, I thought we'd get a season in, somehow. Now I'm not so sure. I thought the key was whether we'd be able to have in-person classes. It's looking much worse now that the Southern and Western states that bragged about being so well-managed are having surges in COVID-19 infections that are worse than Northern states.

2. Right about this time, I'd normally be clamoring for a men's basketball schedule. Keeping my mouth shut. I would be grateful for any
kind of tea leaves at all. Hoping everyone is OK.

3. Watched the 2018 NCAA game against Miami, and noticed that Horizon League Commissioner Jon LeCrone was in the second row of the press area watching the game.

4. Speaking of the Horizon League, they added Robert Morris University from the NEC to give their conference 11 teams. It's the Robert Morris from Pittsburgh that became a Division I team in 1982, not the Robert Morris from Chicago that's an NAIA team. UIC has a new coach (there's something about it in another thread), and UWGB has a new coach. Wright State just recently dropped a bunch of non-revenue sports because of their expenditures for their coach and COVID budget problems.

5. I'm thinking high endowments, larger enrollments, and large market size have to be more attractive assets in college sports these days. State budgets are going to be clobbered, but the essentials of state schools (e.g. classroom instruction) are going to cut into athletic budgets. Maybe is makes all schools **a little** more equal, but let's see how long it lasts.

6. I'm kind of surprised how well I've done without baseball. I've only had five or six times this spring/summer where I've really thought, "I should be watching a baseball game right now, and it would be awesome!!" But I don't think I could deal with no college basketball.

7. Also recently watched the 2002 Horizon League Tournament Final game. The full game is on YouTube now. We should have won, we deserved to win, and we were the better team. And it didn't look so horrible on TV that the HL had to change the tournament format. They did that to punish Loyola, make no mistake.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts in an open, free-form thread about sports/college sports/Covid concerns/MVC big picture stuff/Etc.

Post subject: Re: Early Summer Update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 am 

JCT wrote:

Two weeks ago, I thought we'd get a season in, somehow. Now I'm not so sure. I thought the key was whether we'd be able to have in-person classes. It's looking much worse now that the Southern and Western states that bragged about being so well-managed are having surges in COVID-19 infections that are worse than Northern states.

Just to be clear, you're saying we can blame Trump and redneck Republican governors if we don't play this season?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:17 am 

List of topical rock band names:

VECTORS OF CONTAGION
PANDEMIC
COVID 19
QUARANTINE
FLATTEN THE GROOVE
KUNG FLUTE
CHLOROQUINTET
CONTACT TRACING
VIRAL LOAD
COMORBIDITY
VACCINE
VENTILATOR
HERD IMMUNITY
BETTER 6 FEET APART THAN 6 FEET UNDER; aka TWO YARDBIRDS
CULL THE BABY BOOMERS

Nominations are now open for Coronavirus-related rock band names that are actually good, unlike most of mine. ( I think VECTORS OF CONTAGION and CULL THE BABY BOOMERS are pretty good myself.) I would especially like to see rap and hip-hop names.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:00 am 

I found this Rapper Name Generator website: https://www.name-generator.org.uk/?i=1wvd1l2g

I input "Coronavirus", "Covid-19" and a couple other random terms. Here are a few of the better results:

Covidulous D
Covidormous R
Disease Cheese
di$ea$e

The website also generated song titles, my favorite being Contagion Better have My Smell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 am 

JCT- tried to get the 2002 championship game,no luck.How do I pull it up?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:30 pm 

Ramblin Ray wrote:
JCT- tried to get the 2002 championship game,no luck.How do I pull it up?

https://youtu.be/lf88TjoIwZI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:47 pm 

Thanks Ahunte,
I remember being in the arena for that game.David Bailey celebrated too soon.A long trip back to Chicago after the game.So close to winning!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:16 pm 

Another thing ... a lot of D2 and D3 schools have complete 2020-21 basketball schedules posted.... but none that I could find in D1.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:17 pm 

Online sports betting went live (well, legally) in Illinois within the last few weeks, but you won’t be able to bet on Loyola (or any Illinois college team). You CAN, however, bet on Australian Rules Football and the Korean baseball league, even if you know nothing about those leagues. That last sentence pretty much sums up my summer thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm 

Samsung has no hitting.....always take the under if they are playing.