It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 am 

swellafelon wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:
Avila should be a Rambler. I don't know how to explain it, but he just should.

Agreed. He already has a cool nickname, Robbie Buckets, and has the potential of becoming a folk legend based on his Old School game and Man-of-the- People personna.

And with the new NIL rules he could market his Robbie Buckets Dork Goggles to the hipster crowd and make a fortune!

As someone who also wore goggles and #22 playing high school basketball, I will further support the idea that it is destiny that he should become a Rambler.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:43 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:56 am 

Dansen wrote:

Has 26 offers per verbal commits with some interesting stratification. Obviousy made a jump in his play over the summer to garner some Power 5 offers.

Feel like there are some pretty clear tiers though, and think like we have a decent chance to be in that top 7

Tier 1: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Butler, Wake Forrest, Creighton (Power 5)

Tier 2: Loyola, Wofford, Murrary State, Furman, Belmont (Mid-majors with recent NCAA tournament appearances)

Tier 3: George Mason, Valpo, Northern Kentucky, Illinois State (Mid-majors that are not currently at their peak)

Tier 4: Rice, Elon (Top 100 ranked national institutions)

Tier 5: Easter Illinois, Bowling Green, Milwaukee, Ball State, Toledo, Lipscomb, IUPUI, Western Michigan, Purdue Fort Wayne, Northwood (Everyone else)

My guess would be three or four from tier 1, two or three from tier 2, and maybe one from either tier 3/4 if he has a really strong connection to tier 3 or how important academics are to him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:12 pm 

Made the top 7!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:24 pm 

Robbie Aces wrote:
Made the top 7!!!

Nice to see us up there with a bunch of P5 schools. Hopefully seeing a lot more of that going forward.

I didn't factor in a hometown advantage for for Purdue Fort Wayne in my earlier assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:11 am 

Waiting with bated breath to see if we make Essegian's Final 3!

(Seriously, not a big fan of high schoolers making a big production on social media of their recruitment. I don't know if this Look At Me attitude correlates with selfish play on the court and being a Me First teammate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:52 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Waiting with bated breath to see if we make Essegian's Final 3!

(Seriously, not a big fan of high schoolers making a big production on social media of their recruitment. I don't know if this Look At Me attitude correlates with selfish play on the court and being a Me First teammate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.)

Fair enough, but given the new NIL rules it would not surprise me if he has someone "guiding" him. And therefore he is engaging in self-promotion that he might not otherwise consider as important. It doesn't bother me personally, and I do not think it would necessarily be a reflection of his quality as a teammate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 pm 

When I look at this list of 7, I really think it’s actually a list of 3:
1) Wisconsin
2) Butler
3) Loyola

1) I would think Wisconsin would be in pole position. Big 10 school. Consistent tournament history. Great fanbase. Chance to compete for conference championships in the power 5. Possible opportunities to make money in a college town that only has 2 things going on - football and basketball. Downside - playing time may be a question early.

2) Butler looks like a great fit on paper. Less than 150 miles from home and in his home state. The big East means tv exposure. Also has a great NCAA track record.

3)Loyola doesn’t have the conference reputation - BUT - still has a recent record of NCAA success. Four straight 20+ winning seasons. The ability to play year 1 will be there with seniors leaving. Chicago is a world class city, but still only 150 miles away from home, and family can still come to games. Loyola stock is on the rise. At 6’4 with versatility, he fits the mold of successful players for Loyola playing within the system.

Minnesota - with an offer from Wisconsin, why go to Minnesota? Far from home, new coaching staff, has had no real recent success, and you’re going there to get pummeled by at least 6 or 7 well established conference programs.

Creighton - again - you have a Big East offer in your home state, so why go farther for less certainty?

Wake Forest - sure it’s the ACC, but it’s an ACC team that went 6-16 last year, has not been a tournament team, and really far from home. Judging by the other six schools he’s narrowed it down to, staying in the Midwest is at least a consideration to him. If he wants to go to a big conference and that’s important to him, the big 10 and big East schools look like a far better fit.

Indiana Purdue Fort-Wayne - summit league turned horizon school with very little support - BUT - only 30 miles from home. Western Kentucky, Ball State, Valpo, Toledo, etc. we’re all far better mid major schools that offered him where he would get immediate playing time and a better chance to compete - yet did not make his list. I don’t think they are a serious contender - but I think the choice to put them on his list of 7 gives insight to the value he puts on playing close to home.

Getting him would be big for us. I’m very excited to see if Drew can get him to Rogers Park.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:48 am 

I wouldn't say that it's hasn't happened yet, but I think Valentine will punch above his weight and land a recruit we'd normally not yet. Maybe it will be Essegian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:29 pm 

Keeping the in state talent in state.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 73  Next