PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:59 pm 

Just a classic 2022-23 Loyola Ramblers sequence:

Pull it to within 1.
Miss the front end of a 1-and-1 (badly)
Bad foul, they hit both FTs.
Turnover
Turnover

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:16 pm 

Purposefully miss FT on our end and can’t rebound it. Richmond misses and gets their own rebound to end it. Disgusting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:19 pm 

STUPID COACHING AT END. Quin needs to make FT. You foul immediately and if guy makes both, you still got a chance. We miss and and 2 FT by them would end game. We also took 2 seconds off clock.

What are our bigs doing. We get a massive break, he misses second and we don't rebound. TERRIBLE finish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:23 pm 

Missing a FT on purpose when you're an awful rebounding team is certainly an interesting strategy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:21 pm 

Kinda surprised this didn't come up in the Twitter discourse. But I was also surprised we went for the intentional miss. Weren't there four seconds left?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:00 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Just a classic 2022-23 Loyola Ramblers sequence:

Pull it to within 1.
Miss the front end of a 1-and-1 (badly)
Bad foul, they hit both FTs.
Turnover
Turnover

So so true. It is SO frustrating watching these games and seeing no progress.

Someone mentioned the dumb fouls by our bigs. Nothing frustrates me more than watching golden and Welch bodying up their guy 22 feet from the basket where their guy is no threat. Are we coaching this? These guys have almost 9 full years of experience. Cmon!! Welch continues to lead the NCAA in unnecessary fouls. He had just been giving points away the last 5 games with his fouls. Hey Tom- Stop bumping guys who are not in a position to make a play! It reached a new level today when he came in behind the play and slashed burton across the face for a flagrant AFTER HE HAD ALREADY MADE THE LAYUP. Turned into a 7 point possession for Richmond. Borderline nauseating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:00 pm 

I think you guys are being a little too negative about this one. We showed a lot of fight, and the young guys really led the way. We're giving up size and length all over the floor, and we'll figure it out.

That said I am in the camp that when it comes to fouls, we're earning the whistles coming our way. Too much grabbing and holding instead of staying solid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:42 am 

Ramblers hung tough in a tough venue. One thing we’re seeing is Jalen Quinn starting to gain confidence and emerge. He is showing some good stuff the last four games. He still turns the ball over, but that has improved. His basketball IQ is starting to show. His upside could be a Marcus Townes level IMO. He can get to the rim, a threat from three, and athletic enough to guard three positions. He’s showing he can play in the A10. Pretty good for a kid from Tuscola.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
I think you guys are being a little too negative about this one. We showed a lot of fight, and the young guys really led the way. We're giving up size and length all over the floor, and we'll figure it out.

That said I am in the camp that when it comes to fouls, we're earning the whistles coming our way. Too much grabbing and holding instead of staying solid.

I felt a lot better about this loss than the St. Joe's loss Wednesday. I guess that's where we are now, applying gradients of emotional discomfort to each loss. It'll be like how the Inuit have 37 different words for icy precipitation-- only for us it will be for the sting of losing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:37 am 

ahunte1 wrote:

Absolutely agree. With our bigs - the fouls are not bad officiating. It’s bad decisions and bad fundamentals.

No question that Quinn has been improving. Had a conversation about him with a fellow ramblermaniac this week - discussing how he was now getting about 20 minutes a game….improving….but still not posting any stats. Well -he finally did in this game. Seemed much more aggressive and confident. Let’s hope it turns out to be his breakout game.