It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A-10 Fans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am 

1. I have been surprised by the number of fans that visiting A-10 teams have brought to the Gentile.
2. They seem to be more combative than the MVC fans other than the jerky Bradley fans
3. Do any of our Ramblermaniacs who sit over by them have an opinion?.,.
4. We had some who followed the back and forth on the Valley board. Is anyone in tune with any of the A-10 boards? and what is flying around after our poor start? inquiring minds want to know

Post subject: Re: A-10 Fans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 am 

I thought the SLU fans I ran into were great. Much better than visiting Bradley or ISUr fans. They were having a good time, were very complimentary of Gentile & the program. Good number of them out at Bruno's afterwards too.

Generally thought the Bonnie fans were OK. Tough to be too obnoxious when you're losing. They did have a couple fans who were pretty loud with some annoying things directed at LU fans & players early on in the game but quieted down as it went on.

Dayton fans are the most passionate in the league. And they have massive Chicago base. They are going to absolutely take over Gentile. More than Bradley, ISU or SLU. Need our students to really turn out for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:56 am 

I ran into many Bonnies fans in Dallas during the final four run. They were very complimentary of Loyola then, perhaps because we came out of no where and were the underdogs. But that was then. In general, upstate New Yorkers tend to be very passionate about the Bonnies and the Bills (they generally dislike 'Cuse), but usually not disrespectful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:06 pm 

SLU people were absolutely great and friendly last week. Mr. Chaifetz was in the house also. Between Bruno's, beer lines, restroom lines, in the main concourse, and dinner afterwards @ Moody's everybody was just nice. Just wasn't right so many of them had tickets and made their presence known in the second half.

I disagree about combativeness. It's been minimal like what we've seen from DePaul, UIC, Bradley

Online, I've found A10 Twitter to be a gold-mine of super-fans and other personalities. Lots of jokesters and pranksters unlike the MVC crowd who always took it personal. None of them have wished any harm or ill-will like some of the MVC fanbases had attempted prior. That's a positive. Feedback towards LUC has been pretty respectful, and haven't seen or found anything that would be out of line.

• SLU, Mason, Duquesne, St. Joe folks are the nicest. SLU might have the most fun fanbase IMO
  • Dayton people are most passionate and very fun on Twitter. Hope they bring it here in person on 2/17
  • Bonnies and VCU folks seem OK. They're more focused on their programs and success than socialize.
  • Richmond is very polite and keep to themselves.
  • GeorgeWASH doesn't seem to have much of a fanbase.
  • UMASS folks I would keep away from. They seem mean and unhappy right now, angry with their coach and everyone apparently confrontational about everything. Hopefully they are OK in person but doubt it.
  • Rhode Island, Davidson, LaSalle, and Fordham people seem non-existent or very quiet.

On our road games, how have they treated us and our cavalry inside of their gyms?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:19 pm 

Im mostly on Twitter (@Voldamalort, if you want to hang) these days when it comes to Ramblers content and get a bunch of interaction with A10 fans. Truly enjoyed their friendship this year, a few bad apples but overwhelming great folks who love hoops and have a good sense of humor.

As for in arena, nothing too bad. I found the Valley travelers really off putting (especially Valpo) and mostly cynical and negative both in person and online. Which hasnt been the case for the A10 folks. Now im sure it will get there with a fan base or two...but id rather celebrate some catholic hoops with most of the league than argue about Chicago vs. Bloomington's values with the Valley gang.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 pm 

I think the opposing fan bases have all been quite cordial and complimentary of Loyola, and Gentile (outside of the '1-6' Bonnies chant that has already been debunked). I've also noticed a handful of the writers for @A10Talk tweet positive things of their relative experiences in our arena.

Very timely article by Jack Godar, who writes for @A10Talk and is a Biliken fan, who just published an article on A10 online fan criticism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:22 am 

................... MVC Fans .......................................... A-10 Fans......................

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 am 

love the Midnight Cowboy reference
I sit across the court from the visiting fans as high as you can get...so I only hear them when they start to chant...the VCU chant...etc. I did see a lot of Bonnie fans going to Brunos.
Also is Irelands still in operation...at the Student Center?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 am 

RamblerRagas wrote:
Rhode Island, Davidson, LaSalle, and Fordham people seem non-existent or very quiet.

Rhode Island is coming off the firing of their head coach and is currently experiencing a horrendous rebuild season after massive player turnover. It will be its third straight losing season. Judging fan activity for URI based on this season to date would be akin to at this time passing final judgement on Loyola's A-10 membership.

While URI is in a down cycle, it will none the less once again be in the top third of the A-10 for reported attendance. NET #241 Rhody, at 6-13 overall and 2-5 in the league, is averaging 5,012 season to date per game at the Ryan Center. The next closest team has an average of some 1k less. URI has for most of the last decade finished in either 4th or 5th in the A-10 for attendance alternating on occasion with Richmond. The top three in average attendance every year for a long time have been Dayton (near 13k), VCU (some 7.5k), and SLU (upper 6k).