It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vanderbilt Connection
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:46 pm 

Interesting ceremony being planned for Friday, I learned something new! Didn’t know this connection.

https://t.co/OhZr3tmluV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:15 am 

Thanks for the info. I knew Hunter and Rouse played for the same high school in Nashville, but not the rest of the story.

Ramblermania is becoming a treasure trove of the history of Loyola!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:41 pm 

Nicely played by Vanderbilt.

Incidentally, they’re called the Commodores because of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt who was a commodore in the New York yacht club.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:07 pm 

VANDERBILT will always be highest in my memory file as some of you know Son BRITT was a sophomore when he and three of his class mates were killed by a drunk driver south of town the school sent a rep to stay with us for a day or two As I recall he was a Philosophy prof-- a week later VANDY held a memorial service for him in the Chapel VANDY a truly CLASS INSTITUTION to say the least
A personal connection albeit reality

GO RAMBLERS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:24 pm 

I and the other old timers on Ramblermania knew part of the sad story about your son Britt, but I wasn't aware that three classmates were also victims.

What a terrible tragedy.

I'm glad that Vanderbilt handled the situation with so much caring and grace, providing what comfort they could at such an awful time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:04 pm 

Thanks Swella !! Just to put a lid on this---There were four kids in the car Were on the way to Fla for Spring break---to the home of the girl who was driving They were hit head on by a DRUNK whom the Troopers were chasing-- I65 was a mess afterwards they say The story goes that DRUNK apparently was trying to kill himself as he lost a leg a year earlier in another dui

One moral --Have MORE than one child Paula Bob and Greg all doing well Have 11 Grand kids and six Great grand children !! as an aside we DID lose CAROLINE PAulas number2 but that is another tale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:12 am 

Brot-- while writing the preview for this game (and also the game 2 years ago in Phoenix) I thought of you and your son and your respect and appreciation for Vanderbilt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:53 am 

Vic Rause and Les Hunter would have been at the all black Pearl High School just at the time that black organizations conducted constant civil disruptions (sit ins) at Nashville's' Department Store cafeterias and diners...mostly college kids from the all black colleges in Nashville. At the time Vanderbilt's English Department was one of the leading groups to maintain segregation....Pearl High School, after segregation had to fight to stay open as even with desegregation the School Board and the Nashville leadership did not think white students would attend a former all black school. Eventually Pearl was combined with a former white school and the physical building became Martin Luther King Magnate school.....
An enlightening book on Nashville and Civil Rights during the time that Rouse and Hunter lived and grew up there. is David Halberstam's The Children
Made me think that we see our players as, well players...and maybe students at LU...but they all have a past. Would love to hear from our Chicago kids what it was like growing up in Chicago