It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:15 am 

Release below. Glad they are taking this seriously across the board, will be important for all recruiting.

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2021/7/ ... nflcr.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:51 pm 

Sounds interesting.

Judging by social media, it seems like they are bringing different photographers into practices. Lots of cool content.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:39 am 

so now I am wondering if the players will have booths set up at the Golf Outing,,,,,,selling memorabilia.....maybe telling fortunes,,,selling favorite recipes ...I really have no idea how this is going to look or play out....someone help me out....how does this all play out ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:57 pm 

Nate, one way I imagine this all playing out: The city of Lexington, Ky spins off a nonprofit firm, Wildkyats, Inc. to work exclusively with local college athletes who want to market their NILs. In addition to brokering deals between local wealthy business owners and UK players, it pays athletes for their NILs and assists in marketing them. Wildkyats' funds come from donations from friends of the program and from fundraising events. The organization's finances are transparent, and anyone with a computer (including recruits, of course) can see the financial details for all the deals it brokered for the UK athletes. No one will be in the dark about how much profit a UK athlete can expect to make one s/he signs.

More generally, and more seriously, the NIL business opens up all kinds of new avenues to destroy competitive balance and make a mockery of the integrity of the sports themselves. What's to stop the blue bloods from using their alumni and fans to be able to offer outrageous financial NIL deals to recruits? Who's going to keep the gamblers out? Since the value of NIL is inherently nebulous, anybody can pay anybody anything. Without regulation, it's a short road to giving up any pretense that college athletics have any place at all in a university.

Two other thoughts for anyone who is still reading. (1) The worst scenarios on the horizon will certainly come from unintended consequences. Stuff no one saw coming. (2) Nothing I said here should be taken as support for the current system. I think it is corrupt, out of control, immoral, and exploits many players. But, damn, I love watching and I love the way Loyola runs an ethical program despite the environment.

I seriously doubt that will be possible at some point in the future. Fortunately for Loyola, they won't have to hire a PR firm to announce their withdrawal from intercollegiate athletics; they can just recycle the 1929 statement that announced dropping football.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:39 pm 

Scream, thanks for the insight. this part of your explanation is what concerns me as well
"More generally, and more seriously, the NIL business opens up all kinds of new avenues to destroy competitive balance and make a mockery of the integrity of the sports themselves. What's to stop the blue bloods from using their alumni and fans to be able to offer outrageous financial NIL deals to recruits? Who's going to keep the gamblers out? Since the value of NIL is inherently nebulous, anybody can pay anybody anything. Without regulation, it's a short road to giving up any pretense that college athletics have any place at all in a university."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:07 am 

As far as I understand it the schools with the ability to really inject cash into this and warp the recruiting expectations etc. all already doing it. DeAndre Ayton was payed $100k to go to Arizona, things like that. Basketball is a head of the game a little bit because they already have a very established structure where the blue bloods and P5 pay top dollar and the mid majors rely on academics, networking and chance to win to recruit. With the NBA G League developmental team paying actual million dollar contracts, i think the Blue Bloods are in for some pain. Eventually big donors wont want to spend $1m a season on the newest 1 and done player who doesnt represent the school beyond that.

With all that being said, I think itll probably mess with football a bit more than basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:37 am 

a player from Alabama already has over a Million dollars in endorsements.......let the games begin.
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021 ... deals.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:57 am 

In 1975 or 1976 the arbitrator Peter Seitz ruled in favor of the players union and Marvin Miller in a case which involved the reserve clause in major league baseball. This story is told in the great book "Lords of the Realm". It represented another chapter in the long 100 year battle between the players and the owners. Marvin Miller played the owners like a fiddle and used their arrogance against them.
The bottom line of the ruling was the player was not the property of the team for life and if they did not sign a contract and it was renewed by team at a salary of ten per cent less than the previous year, the player was a free agent.
Thus began the era of free agency in Major League Baseball and subsequently other professional sports.\In 1976 the average player salary was $29000. Now we know how high salaries have gotten. Bryce Harper gets $33 million a year for ten year.
He covers his annual social security contribution in four plate appearances.

The transfer portal, graduate students and the 5th year of eligibility and now this NIL situation have turned college sports on its ear.
Good. For far too long the players were controlled. They were recruited heavily like rock stars and then dropped like two week old lunch leftovers in the fridge.
However, if anyone thinks that this will make it better, it will for some and not for others. The big, fat cat programs will get richer and better. THE NCAA HAS GOTTEN A GOOD KICK IN THE ASS AND THEY DESERVE IT.

That, however, is the first shoe to drop. Some day, there will be a challenge to the NCAA tournament selection process. It borders on collusion and a cartel. The P5 teams control the process and the money. That is one of the main reasons they do not schedule mid major teams for away games. It really is a joke and the mid majors, FOR NOW, lap up the crumbs thrown on the floor.
Some day in the future, the process will be forced to change. But not for now.

Now that he is on the other side of the fence, what is the chance that Oklahome ever comes to the Joe to play Loyola?
Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:54 am 

I’m not sure who all saw it, but the AD sent out an email discussing how they are approaching this, and the apparent regulations surrounding it. The biggest point made was that boosters cannot enter into these NIL contracts. I get the idea behind that, but, I don’t see how the NCAA will actually be able to police that. Or fairly enforce that rule. Then again, they don’t really fairly enforce the rules that have been in place for years, so I suppose nothing much will change from that end.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:37 pm 

Scream wrote:
Nate, one way I imagine this all playing out: The city of Lexington, Ky spins off a nonprofit firm, Wildkyats, Inc. to work exclusively with local college athletes who want to market their NILs. In addition to brokering deals between local wealthy business owners and UK players, it pays athletes for their NILs and assists in marketing them. Wildkyats' funds come from donations from friends of the program and from fundraising events. The organization's finances are transparent, and anyone with a computer (including recruits, of course) can see the financial details for all the deals it brokered for the UK athletes. No one will be in the dark about how much profit a UK athlete can expect to make one s/he signs.

I suppose it's poor etiquette to quote yourself, but I want to make the point that things are already worse than I imagined last July. They are certainly much worse than 01grad imagined in the same string when he referenced Steve Watson saying that "boosters cannot enter into NIL contracts". Here's what's going on according to an article in that former Chicago newspaper, the Tribune:

https://digitaledition.chicagotribune.c ... 94e99fb9fc (Sorry I can't link directly to the article. It's on page 1 of Sports)

It's about rich U of I boosters banding together to get as much as 6-figure payouts for athletes in order to keep up with the competition such as Indiana and Kansas. It's laughable that they are dressing it up by including contracts to do "work" with kids for respectable non-profits. (When you are transferring money from boosters to players, always do whatever makes you sleep better at night). They contrast this with programs that are simply trying to shower athletes with money. The difference escapes me. Just one other thing about the article, but for me the most jarring: the lawyer organizing this at U of I says it's a "shinning example" of what universities should be.

Disclaimer: I am not against compensating players. I do not think it should be a recruiting tool. Even the NBA tries to maintain competitive balance.