It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 am 

Drew...on 670 Score 8:15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 am 

Interview was weird.

Ra-Ra about how great he is in introduction, then talk about maintaining the culture. The thing that everyone wants to know was danced around, but never addressed. At one point he started talking about recruits, but then said “I don’t know that I can really talk about that right now.”

Valentine referenced talking to Kennedy - which was pretty indicative that Kennedy isn’t hitting the transfer portal.

It seemed fairly obvious to me that they talked to Drew during the commercial break and Drew presumably told them he didn’t want to discuss the possibility of Krutwig coming back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am 

Check out the news conference video from yesterday, link below.

I think it is apparent that he is not rushing seniors in terms of their decisions regarding coming back. He wants them to make a up their minds, be 100% committed and he does not want to step on any toes.

I think the exchange on the score when Kennedy's name came up was telling. Kennedy asked him what he was going to do differently. I am pretty sure Kennedy wants a bigger a role and little more freedom on offense, which would jive with what I heard regarding him being on the fence a little. Hopefully, Kennedy was satisfied with whatever the full answer was and he stays.

As far as others coming, if he reached out either through the transfer portal or offers that were made, he may have heard from some guys who maybe close to coming and he may not want to attract attention to them or be premature until things are official.

The good news for Drew is that he finds himself with 3 scholarships that we did not have for next year with Frank, Baylor and Cooper in the transfer portal. If the Seniors come back, he doesn't necessarily have to fill them for next year. If he does use them, he can go transfer portal and use it like you would JCs, except you already have seen what they can do at a D1 level, or you can take kids you offered or will offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCHKYCPpMLw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 am 

In regards to him not talking about recruits, it's more of following rules than anything else. Coaches cannot talk about recruits until they are officially signed and have all their paperwork in and cleared. That's why the athletics department hasn't released anything on Knight or Schwieger.

I thought it was a pretty good interview. I wasn't expecting anything major out of it. Sounds like he wants to continue what Porter started, but add a little of him into it. I think that's about all we can ask.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:33 am 

Interesting stuff about Kennedy. I am hopeful we give him more freedom next year as he can do a lot of creating. We (presumably) won't have Krutwig to run our offense through so we will have to find new approaches on the offensive end.

The roster will be interesting to monitor. 3 open spots now, but we don't know what the seniors are doing; we don't know whether there will be any more transfers out of the program; we don't know if any of the three current transfers may want to come back; no confirmation from the two Ivy guys that they are still committed despite the coaching change. Just a lot of variables--fun offseason banter!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 am 

I think Drew's caution isn't just a mandate to stay within NCAA regs. I think there are also a lot of chess pieces being moved around right now. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is involves frank discussions between Drew and Porter. Knowing what I know about Porter, I doubt that he would flat out poach players from LU. On the other hand, I totally expect that he is weighing the players that he recruited and the seniors he coached as possible additions to the Okie U team. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if Drew is looking at his line-up and seeing Porter-centric pieces that might fit better somewhere else or stand in the way of the system and team he wants to coach.

On the player side, if I was recruited by Porter and felt that I was a P5 player, I would have lit him up already. I mean, why not? These kids have nothing to lose by straight-up asking the coach if they would fit into his system at OU. On that same note, if Cam feels like a year at a P5 school, playing for a Coach he loves will improve his stock for playing professionally, why wouldn't he make the move?

As evidenced by the number of kids in the transfer portal, these players are always thinking about what will work best for them. Who can blame them? And the best coaches have become very good at letting players know if they fit or should play somewhere else.

I expect some more drama, sadness and excitement before we know who is on our roster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:31 am 

I was trying to figure out what shape the Okie U team was in regards to returning players and scholarship spots. This article from SI was pretty good at spelling out Porter's responsibility and his urgent need to recruit immediately. Currently, OU has EIGHT (8!) kids leaving the program. I think it's nearly inevitable that we see someone who did or was going to wear the maroon and gold wearing the Okie Red in the near future.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/men ... eport-says

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 am 

looks like they have 5 spots to fill for 21-22, as of now.......lots of offers listed...none are also LU offers...
the current # of transfers now stands at 1235........