It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Recruiting Class of 2022
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:36 pm 

Interest in Jaylen Quinn, a 6’3” guard from Tuscola. Looks like an interesting prospect.

https://herald-review.com/sports/high-s ... a9e63.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 am 

Wow ...good ole Tuscola...If you dont know Tuscola is right of 57 between Champaign and Charleston....usually a football town...I remember going to the Thanksgiving Day Cola War game between Tuscola and Arcola....first played in 1896...when visiting relatives in Arthur....and only a stones throw from Paris (Illinois). This is a weird year for players like Quinn in terms of trying to get noticed....might be some diamonds in the rough.

https://herald-review.com/sports/high-s ... c0326.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 am 

Great article Skate. Very interesting rivalry. Made me think of the movie Hoosiers (different sport).
I attended a basketball game at Tuscola about 15 years ago. A former Little League player of mine was head basketball coach there for about three years.
The fans were very passionate for sure. Even though he had a winning record, it was not good enough and he lost the head coaching job. Ended up better though as he is now varsity basketball coach for a team in the Western suburbs and his wife had hated living outside of Chicago (not enough to do).
Thanks for sharing that history.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:59 am 

Nate, your posts always remind me of Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story".
Even your ellipses mimic Harvey's long dramatic pauses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:54 pm 

I have a ghost writer!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:10 pm 

When I worked at WLS, the main offices were on the 5th floor of the former Stone Container Building at 360 N. Michigan. We had an extra production studio on the 4th floor (it was fantastic.... overlooking the intersection of Michigan and Wacker, directly facing the Michigan Avenue Bridge). ABC Radio News and Paul Harvey's offices and studios were right next to that extra production room on the same floor. I used to see him in the hallways and on the elevator a lot. Everyone in the building treated Paul Harvey as a living legend, from the guy at the newsstand in the lobby to the ABC corporate bigwigs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 pm 

I had to go to Copenhagen to hear Paul Harvey in person. I qualified for a trip sponsored by Kemper Financial, whose products were among those I sold. Paul Harvey was the speaker at one of the dinners there. His was one of the most inspirational talks I have ever heard. I was lucky enough to meet him. He was a real gentleman.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:36 pm 

Will follow up once I get a chance to try and find some video.

Regardless, big fan of the Rec Specs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:37 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Wow ...good ole Tuscola...If you dont know Tuscola is right of 57 between Champaign and Charleston....usually a football town...I remember going to the Thanksgiving Day Cola War game between Tuscola and Arcola....first played in 1896...when visiting relatives in Arthur....and only a stones throw from Paris (Illinois). This is a weird year for players like Quinn in terms of trying to get noticed....might be some diamonds in the rough.

https://herald-review.com/sports/high-s ... c0326.html

This made me laugh. My mom grew up on a farm between Tuscola and Arcola. My grandfather played football for Tuscola, class of '08, 1908 that is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 am 

"This made me laugh. My mom grew up on a farm between Tuscola and Arcola. My grandfather played football for Tuscola, class of '08, 1908 that is."

Oh the stories I could tell....there was a little town? I mean little...literally just a crossroads..4 houses, a church and a general store between Arcola and Tuscola...called Bourbon....getting an interstate exit and some huge truck stops and an outlet mall really gave Tuscola an economic bump. It really is an oil town as its incorporation is connected to the Illinois Central railroad Chicago-Matton run.....Matoon was an oil boom town......you can still see oil derricks operating in farm fields down there. And if you take a run through the countryside between Tuscola and Arcola you will definitely run into lots of Amish horse and buggys
and their nickname is the Warriors which also explains their name which means warrior cry in Cherokee (into Illinois from the Trail of Tears) Okay way too much info but I really like that area...and would love to see a Tuscola kid on the team

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next