It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Owen McAndrews
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:04 pm 

I'm confused. I see that Owen is listed as a redshirt Soph. He was out for a very long tinme then played in one match toward the end of the season. Clearly he is not able to play. What is his status?

Post subject: Re: Owen McAndrews
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 am 

Basically, he is 3rd on the middles depth chart.

From what I've seen, at the start of the season, the staff was experimenting at Right Side. With the loss of Joe Smalzer to graduation, Loyola had a RS Senior in Matt Phillips, and two freshmen in Ben Plaisted and Ricky Gevis. Additionally, Loyola had a pretty tall freshman Middle named Jeff Jendryk. Early on, McAndrews was given an opportunity to play Right Side. It wasn't great. Jendryk's offense and defense was pretty good. A few matches in, Loyola put in Ben Plaisted for a couple of sets and he took over the Right Side job. I believe it was sometime around late January/early February that Middle Nick Olsen was injured. McAndrews stepped back in to the Middle position where he excelled last season and didn't miss a beat. About a month or so later, I saw McAndrews on the bench in warmups and Olsen back in the lineup. It took me a couple of matches to realize that McAndrews was in a boot. About a month or so after that, I saw him take pregame warmups. But by now he was clearly 3rd on the depth chart behind Olsen and Jendryk. At this point, I believe that his health is okay.