It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:44 pm 

The Loyola women's basketball team faces Lewis tonight in an exhibition game at Gentile Arena. The women's team will be playing with three major players who are returning after missing most of last season with injuries. I can't make it, but if anyone attends the game, scouting reports and observations would be welcome...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:50 pm 

Looking at Loyola twitter feed about game.

We got off to a great start, (11-2), then completely fell apart. Lewis leading 37-18 sometime late in first half. WTF?

https://twitter.com/ramblerwbball

Down 45-26 at half. Ugh.

Looking at Lewis' official site, I see they are no cupcakes. They went 23-6 last year, won their conference the past 2 years, are favored to threepeat this year, and are ranked 8th in the nation in Division 2. Still, I'm surprised and disappointed. I hope the Ramblers rally in the second half.

We started the game with Taylor Johnson, Tina Karapolus ( sp?), Becca Smith, Molly Crosby and Simone Law. I was wondering why Taylor Manuel didn't start; now I remember she's not eligible until after semester ends.

Down 69-50 with 8 minutes left. No chance for a win, slight chance to make it respectable.

77-54 with 3:49 left. New goal: No torn ACLs.

Final: Lewis 83, Loyola 61.

Last edited by swellafelon on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 pm 

I was going to post this news on the other board under the heading, "Painfully True".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm 

Very disappointed.

If this game is any indication, Loyola fans are in for another long year.

On edit: Just got the "Painfully True" joke.

Good one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:20 pm 

Looking at their roster, it seems like most of the gals on Lewis are from Chicagoland area. Guess they were wildly overlooked by the many local D1 schools. Lewis still has exhibitions against NIU and Marquette. It'll be interesting to see how they perform in those games. We move on to John Carroll in an exhibition on Friday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:29 pm 

Obviously, a big disappointment. It doesn't matter if Lewis is extraordinarily talented for a D-II team, we will be competing against D-1 squads every game this season, in a challenging conference. This was a home game (albeit meaningless in terms of results), but it seems to me that there's a severe crisis in confidence going on now in Loyola Athletics. After women's soccer and women's volleyball have underperformed against expectations this year, I think it's clear that the void in leadership in the Athletic Department is now a drag on performance on the field. My predictions for fall sports didn't take the AD situation into account.

Everyone who has played sports knows that emotion and confidence play a huge factor. A rudderless Athletic Department can't offer a lot of confidence to players. The announcement of a vacancy at that position has gone on for seven months now without a resolution or any definitive statements about what's happening.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 am 

This was the best post game interview I've seen from Swoopes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3hM47QHEk

Actually, it was probably the best interview I've seen from her at Loyola, period.

My only question is: Why is the team not in shape? Unless the women rehabbing from injury can't push it 100% in practice, I'm not sure what the excuse is for that. What else have they been doing for the past five months?