It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Before a very sparse pre-Superbowl crowd, the Loyola women's basketball team knocked off second place Indiana State today, 71-58. The banged-up, shorthanded Ramblers got a career high 30 points from senior Troy Hambric, and managed to hold the MVC's second place team to less than 30% shooting from the field.

The Ramblers end the first half of the conference season at 5-4, and bounced back from a lackluster loss on Friday against Illinois State. Loyola is currently tied for 4th in the MVC with Missouri State.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:16 pm 

The Lady Ramblers have been a very pleasant surprise considering the number of players out with season ending injuries. I think the upcoming road games will really test their mettle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am 

Thanks for the breathing room you helped create for my Lady Shox. A 2 game lead is nice to have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 pm 

Here's what I liked about this game. The Ramblers never let ISU get a big run started in the second half. Better yet, going into the last 3 minutes, Indiana State was trying to cut the lead to 6. Tough defense resulted in a nice stop. Sheryl did not call time out. The girls did not slow down to see what the bench had to say. They didn't hold the ball and then look for a "good" shot with 8 seconds left on the shot clock. No, they just played Rambler basketball. After the defensive stop, a long heave down the court netted an easy fast break layup. After another stop they came down fast and Lyndsey Booker fired up an open 3 that put the game away. No messing with free throws down the stretch or last second strategy. They just went after it and seized the game when it was there for the taking. I love to see that kind of self-confidence instilled by the coaching staff.

It was nice to see so many men's varsity players there rooting for the women. And there was something there at the end for them to learn from.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:57 am 

Scream wrote:
Here's what I liked about this game. The Ramblers never let ISU get a big run started in the second half. Better yet, going into the last 3 minutes, Indiana State was trying to cut the lead to 6. Tough defense resulted in a nice stop. Sheryl did not call time out. The girls did not slow down to see what the bench had to say. They didn't hold the ball and then look for a "good" shot with 8 seconds left on the shot clock. No, they just played Rambler basketball. After the defensive stop, a long heave down the court netted an easy fast break layup. After another stop they came down fast and Lyndsey Booker fired up an open 3 that put the game away. No messing with free throws down the stretch or last second strategy. They just went after it and seized the game when it was there for the taking. I love to see that kind of self-confidence instilled by the coaching staff.

It was nice to see so many men's varsity players there rooting for the women. And there was something there at the end for them to learn from.

Those are the things a good coaching staff teaches. THAT is a change in culture.

I stand by my previous statements that Porter could learn a thing or two from Sheryl.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 am 

Fire Porter! Hire Sheryl!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:

I like it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 am 

swellafelon wrote:
goramblers2011 wrote:

I like it!

That would certainly make some noise...