It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 pm 

If Rooney wants to change the culture and show who is in charge then fire a senior VP. The choice is very easy and would send a message to do your job.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 pm 

University denies any prior knowledge. Wow.

Also, "gender based violent crime"? I think it's okay to call it rape when someone pleads guilty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:40 pm 

I can see the school not knowing about it. Since the event happened after he signed, I can see no one looking at his record while he was in school. Also, it was a misdemeanor for years, and he technically was innocent until a couple weeks ago, so it may not show up on some scans.

Finally, I follow UGA football, so I've learned a couple things about Georgia state law, and it can be pretty screwy, and complicated. I may be wrong, but I think there is a law to attempt to protect identities of potential offenders in many cases. The intent is if someone is actually innocent, they do not want their reputation to suffer. Some things like possession of drugs, DUI, and common tickets are released pretty quickly, but I wouldn't be surprised if this case wasn't publicly known until a week or two ago.

While I may not fully believe that the school did not know, and think someone at least in the golf should've know, I do think there is a chance of this being a private affair until he pleaded guilty and went to jail.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:23 am 

This is pretty simple;
There is this new thing called the internet and on the 'internet' there is a thing called google that lets you search for all sorts of things.
Maybe Loyola's chief information officer/AD Susan Malisch should have taught Kelly what a computer is used for. I forgot she is a history major from Rockhurst with no degree in her background for the job she holds, btw our AD compliance officer Jay Malcolm, was the liaison to golf. He was another Malisch and Kelly hire.
So
1. Kelly is lying
2. Kelly is so incompetent that he really didn't know.
Considering some of his asinine statements in the Phoenix about waiting to see what other schools were going to do first about campus sexual assault it is beyond belief he is still employed.
In less than a year Kelly has overseen two negative press events for Loyola with Swoopes and now this both involving abuse.

From the Phoenix
About increased reports
Kelly said his office views increasing reports as a “positive sign” because it means people are coming forward to receive resources and support from Loyola, and doesn’t necessarily mean the incidents are occurring more frequently.

About the sexual assault survey
Loyola waited to see how other colleges conducted the surveys before initiating its own, according to Kelly.

I love his statement at the end of the recent press release where he talked about Loyola continuously looking for ways to stem sexual assault. He truly lives in a fantasy world because if they were actually looking this case was the easiest thing to find.

Why is Kelly allowed to write any press release. Why does he still have a job. He let a rapist wander campus and on a scholarship to boot and claims he knew nothing. I am so appalled by the fact he is title ix director and knows nothing.
My message to President Rooney is good luck raising 500M when this type of stuff keeps happening.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:04 am 

The Golf Program is important to me and had many chances to meet Coach Steffan. During that time there was never a whiff of this. I really can add nothing to whether LU knew or didnt know or who should have known. But there must be a procedure where LU checks backgrounds of students particularly those who come in on a scholarship. That being said all of my interactions with Coach Steffan led me to believe that he was nothing but above board and a good guy dedicated to making the program better, never would I believe he would have crossed a line. Too good a person.
In trying to weave my way through the web of secrecy that is LU all I came up with were implications that he wanted too much. In other words he was pushing for things to make the program better and LU was not going to do it and the conflict was resolved.The fact that he may have taken fundraising into his own hands may have been the straw etc,,, Also if I am correct the player involved was not recruited by Coach Steffan.

I do wonder if they kept the vans they got through his fundraising efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:30 am 

So know we want Universities acting as Big Brother and keep track of students. Until he plead guilty of aggrevated assault he was an innocent man.

It seems to me the system worked except maybe to slowly. Lets spend less money on government and take even mor time to find justice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:50 am 

I deleted both of my prior posts because one was inappropriate and the other tried to use the situation to further a personal agenda of mine.

I defer to Nate when it comes to having an understanding of the golf program.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:22 am 

lu2016 wrote:
So know we want Universities acting as Big Brother and keep track of students. Until he plead guilty of aggrevated assault he was an innocent man.

It seems to me the system worked except maybe to slowly. Lets spend less money on government and take even mor time to find justice.

16....certainly a lot of truth to what you say. The question would be if you knew that this young man had been accused but not convicted before you offered him a scholarship....would you have offered him a scholarship?.and yes the University should and does in some form know about the character of the people it brings into its community.
and justice reminds me of the one fish I caught in my life......slippery and hard to hang on to.....but the pursuit was still fulfilling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:46 pm 

I don't think its unreasonable for a university to do a background for criminal activity for athletes. Our staff lawyers could answer this better but wouldn't the university be liable if you recruited an athlete, gave a scholarship, and you did zero due diligence to find out that they were charged or convicted of a violent crime and then committed that same crime on campus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:28 pm 

LU 86 wrote:
I don't think its unreasonable for a university to do a background for criminal activity for athletes. Our staff lawyers could answer this better but wouldn't the university be liable if you recruited an athlete, gave a scholarship, and you did zero due diligence to find out that they were charged or convicted of a violent crime and then committed that same crime on campus.

That's not a foolproof solution, since juvenile records are often expunged or kept secret.