It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:27 am 

Crazy...

The crime occurred while he was in high school, and he played three years on scholarship at Loyola. This spring, the case was upgraded to a felony.

http://www.myajc.com/news/crime--law/fu ... xG5EicoTL/

Edit: He was sentenced to 20 years. Ten in state prison and ten on probation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 am 

N/M

Last edited by swellafelon on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:54 am 

With all the staff LU has how did they not know this kid was charged. If they didn't I think that's a big problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:08 am 

LU 86 wrote:
With all the staff LU has how did they not know this kid was charged. If they didn't I think that's a big problem.

That is what I am wondering. There was a lot of turnover during his three years at Loyola.

He signed in November 2012 (prior to the crime), when Grace Calhoun was the AD and Adam Kwiatkoski was the golf coach.

Kyle Stefan was hired in the summer of 2013 (after the crime).

Fall 2013, Holm enrolls at Loyola

March 2014, Grace Calhoun leaves

November 2014, Steve Watson announced

April 2015 case transferred to the DA

Kyle Stefan fired sometime in December 2015/January 2016

Erik Hoops hired January 2016 and it doesn't look like Holm was on the team for the 2016 spring season.

April 2016 charged with rape

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:23 am 

I know there's a section of the law school application that specifically deals with crimes and convictions. Most law schools won't admit someone who would have trouble meeting the character test of admission to the bar (yes, that's a real thing). Personally, I feel that's awful-- people should be allowed to study a subject and gain educational credentials regardless of their ability or intent to work in that field. To me, it's similar to banning convicted felons from voting. I'm not sure if something similar is on the undergraduate application, but I think I would be against that, too.

However, I think it's OK to withhold or recind an athletic scholarship on the basis of character. The student-athletes are representing the school and it's more of a priviledge. So I'm in favor of academic "access" unless it's an issue where other students could be harmed. Seems like this might also fit in that category.

I don't know how a student on a sports team (or in regular contact with professors, counselors, department heads, academic advisors, coaches, athletic department officials, etc.) could fall through the cracks when it comes to an ongoing rape case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 pm 

Georgtown went through this mess with AI. But they were upfront about the process with him. In general Loyola hides everything

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:54 pm 

I'm very curious about who knew what. It's not like he was some all-American golfer for us. Why stick your neck out for him?

Innocent until proven guilty works great for the courtroom. I believe in it 100%. But I don't think it extends to the privilege of an athletic scholarship.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:41 am 

N/M

Last edited by swellafelon on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 pm 

The rumor I heard was because he went directly to the parents to pay for two new vans for the program. When he was denied the original request and told to go raise the money himself. He did and was fired over it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:43 pm 

I think this is awful. How has the school not responded to this? Also if the school knew and let him in I'm really ashamed and saddened. If the school did not know it is bad too and really embarrassing that they didn't. The school needs to make a statement.