It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HUGE Men's Soccer Win
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:19 pm 

The Ramblers defeated #12 Utah Valley 2-0 tonight at the NIU Adidas Invitational in DeKalb, bringing them to 4-0-0 on the season. Besides the undefeated start, the Ramblers got some attention for beating then-#15 (now #4) Indiana in Bloomington during the exhibition season.

Loyola came into this week among the others receiving votes in the Division I men's soccer rankings, just below the Top 25. My guess is a win over Binghamton on Sunday (game time 11 a.m.) would give Loyola their first Men's Soccer Top 25 ranking ever.

I have always thought men's soccer is one of the non-revenue sports where Loyola could make a significant splash. It is a sport where Loyola's academic reputation carries more weight, there have been some examples of professional success by men's soccer alumni, and it's a college sport where smaller conference schools like St. Louis, Akron, Creighton, UC Santa Barbara, Howard, and Santa Clara have had a lot of success and even national championships.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:46 pm 

Ramblers demolished previously undefeated Binghamton today by a score of 4-0. Late in the first half, Loyola scored three times in a span of 85 seconds. The Ramblers are now 5-0-0 on the season, with the last FOUR games as shutouts over Albany, Northern Kentucky, #12 Utah Valley, and Binghamton. If you add in the exhibition games, where Loyola was 2-0-1 (including a 2-0 road win over Indiana, now ranked #4), it's pretty impressive.

I think when Tuesday comes around and the rankings are released, you'll see Loyola break into the Top 25 for the first time. The new, extended conference season starts Saturday, when the (ranked?) Loyola Ramblers face Drake in Des Moines.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:55 am 

Any idea when was the last time men's soccer was ranked?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Any idea when was the last time men's soccer was ranked?

I don't think they've ever appeared in the rankings. I actually don't think they've been close prior to this year.