It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:57 pm 

With their win today over Indiana State, Loyola’s women’s volleyball team has won 15 of their last 16 matches and sits tied for 1st place in the MVC with Wichita State. What’s even more interesting is they’re one of only six women’s volleyball schools in the country (USC, Texas, UCLA, Kansas, and Hawaii are the others) to be undefeated away from home (road and neutral courts).

The 16-3 Ramblers won at 3rd place Southern Illinois, but haven't faced the other top teams in the conference yet-- Wichita State (14-6, 5-1 MVC) and Missouri State (13-6, 4-2 MVC). Loyola lost to 7th place Drake (??!??!), Northwestern, and Wake Forest-- all at home-- for their only three losses on the season. In last year's women's volleyball season preview, I had the Ramblers tabbed for high in the MVC standings, partly based on the effect of the men's team winning the national championship. It's looking like I was a year too early.

The MVC is a very good women's volleyball league, comparatively, so it's especially nice to be doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:06 am 

It's been a very pleasant season. 16-3 is not too shabby. Not sure is anything is wrong with setter Maddy Moser but they started running a 5-1 (1 setter) offense last Friday which resulted in 2 more wins and setter Caroline Holt being the first Loyola volleyball POTW in the MVC. Just from my own eyes, the team is gelling very well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:59 pm 

This coming weekend at Missouri State and Wichita State is going to be a killer. Need a split, probably.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:40 pm 

I'm glad to see this team doing well. I attended the WF and Northwestern losses, and it looked like it could be a difficult year, but they seemed to really gel in the Valpo tournament. That Drake game could've gone either way; there were some crazy points lost that seemed to deflate the team.

Hoping for a split this weekend and happy to see Holt get some recognition; she's been fun to watch.