It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 am 

Look for more wacky machinations and goofy maneuvers as Grace Calhoun is faced with a new challenge to find a bureaucratic solution to continue to employ her husband Jason at Loyola without running afoul of any nepotism restrictions.

Two years ago Jason was hired to coach the women's golf team on an "interim" basis following the mysterious mid-season resignation of the incumbent coach.

Last year, Jason was kept on as a coach, but his status was obscure. Loyola's website neglected to say (in apparent contravention of NCAA regulations) whether he was the head coach or an assistant. To muddy the waters, Grace brought in one "Jack Martin" (reported by a poster on Ramblermania to be a friend of the Calhouns) to serve as another coach of the women's golf team. Martin's golf experience was exclusively as a caddy master; he had absolutely no experience coaching. No matter. His role was to provide cover for Jason. Just what Martin's official status was was equally obscure (since on the website he was referred to, like Jason, only as "coach"), although it was reported by the Phoenix that he was nominally the head coach.

In any event, Martin was only a figurehead, a token, a strawman, a ruse, (you get the point) and Jason ran the show.

Fast forward to today, it appears from Loyola's website that Jack Martin has departed, while Jason remains. It will be interesting to see how the Calhouns will handle this latest development.

I will be following the story closely.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Admin

So..... are you saying that "Jack Martin" (if that IS his REAL name) was a flunky? A pawn? A patsy? A puppet? A stooge? A stalking horse? A decoy? A sham? Was he an ersatz pretense to mask a sinister ostentation of nepotistic flagitiousness?

Is that it? I don't want to put words in your mouth....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 pm 

I should start calling you Roget63, but, yes, I think you grasped my point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:17 am 

I really cannot figure what the big deal this LUC - Golf thing truly is--
Happens a lot--See The Meyers of De Pewl, The Knights of Indy and Texas-Lubbock---The Collins----There are others who do not come to mind.
If nepotism exists and it does, that is not in itself evil. Only thing is, it had better work.

Many companies today exist that way--Father and Son--grandfather and on down---

A prime example for me was --My firm way back in the day was run by two brothers--VERY successfully--Then the third brother took over--result close to disaster-- It can work--and then again--maybe not.

In LUC's case , it appears to be much ado about little--But then I am on outside just reading away !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am 

"Issues arising with the new director of [Golf] instruction may cause us to be searching for a new candidate."

From the minutes of:

VILLAGE OF GLENCOE
GOLF ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Regular Meeting
Glencoe Golf Club
621 Westley Road
May 21, 2012

http://www.villageofglencoe.org/assets/ ... Packet.pdf

Brot, Let's see if you can guess who they're talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:05 pm 

Well, Swella--I must say that this has nothing to do with whether Mrs C succeeds or fails--This rests with my statement that nepotism is not evil--as I think you are intimating--but if it does exist, the principals must succeed---Nothing more nothing less. She will be a success on HER merits--If not, well like anything else now that LUC is committed, she will be gone.
I do feel that you might be just stirring the pot--Why ?? I have no idea. So far she has done well in her job as AD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm 

My point is that it seems I'm not the only one who has "issues" with Jason Calhoun as an employee. (In fairness, I don't know what the "issues" at Glencoe Golf Club were, but I would love to find out.)

He is no longer at Glencoe Golf Club, but is now at Glen Flora in Waukegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:48 pm 

he's not there either

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:00 pm 

If you could expand upon Calhoun's status at Glen Flora, I would love to hear it.

The man seems to be burning through jobs faster than Brot goes through Depends (only kidding, Brot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:37 pm 

His name is still up on the web site but I heard he's left. In fairness, Glen Flora has had a lot of cash flow issues over the past 4-5 years and head pros have left because of it before, but that's really a guess. My info could also be incorrect. The Glencoe thing i know nothing about but i'm sure someone does. The golf community on the north shore is always full of gossip and rumor and I tend to take everything with a grain of salt. However I have seen some pretty screwed up things happen at private clubs up here.
I'm not sure I have a big issue with a part time position as womens golf coach but if policy is in place it should be followed. I cant comment if he's a good instructor or not. He's obivously not a stronger player or he would be on tour. (not many are). I have no idea whether the girls like him or not. I would find it unusual for a teaching pro to take a part time job when there is more money to be made with private lessons. So I would think it would be tough to find a quality person to fill this slot.
I've known Jack Martin for a long time and have always found him to be a stand up guy. He would never be a patsy for anything that you can be sure of. He's the type of guy anyone would be honored to have as a friend. I don't know why he became involved with this but he would have no problem telling anyone why.
I just don't know what this job really entails. This level of golf doesnt breed tour quality players very often. Most players have had years of professional teaching and thats really expensive. Does a college coach reshape a swing or just drive the van and keep score?
I do find that this doesnt benefit the girls playing. They deserve a coach. This really shouldn't be a issue for an AD. her asst AD's should be handling this. The stark reality is that the athletic dept needs to fundraise on a much larger scale and in a hurry. Raising ticket prices and access isnt going to make much of a difference. A viable connection needs to be made with the Loyola alumni base and get them connected to the athletic program. That's what any AD should be working on everyday.