It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 am 

Thanks for the info, 86.

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on Jack Martin, about whom I know absolutely nothing, but it still appears to me that he may have, wittingly or unwittingly, allowed himself to be used by the Calhouns in a scheme to work around University personnel policies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Although this new board is only 2 1/2 mos. old, I think "Women's Golf: More Crap Ahead" may go down in history as one of the better topic titles ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:16 pm 

63 ... That reminds me of my favorite thread title from way back when ... "Hick runs onto the field"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Rip Van Ramble wrote:
63 ... That reminds me of my favorite thread title from way back when ... "Hick runs onto the field"

"Hick Runs Onto Field" is a classic that might not ever be surpassed. It was on the board for something like three years. I also liked "I Am A Hybrid," and any thread that compiled woeful quotes from the Butler board. One of the questions will be: Who will be our next Butler? My guess is Bradley, based on our history, or Northern Iowa based on playing style. It would be abso-freakin'-loutely awesome if Wichita State ended up being our Butler in the MVC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 am 

Rambler63 wrote:
Rip Van Ramble wrote:

"Hick Runs Onto Field" is a classic that might not ever be surpassed. It was on the board for something like three years. I also liked "I Am A Hybrid," and any thread that compiled woeful quotes from the Butler board. One of the questions will be: Who will be our next Butler? My guess is Bradley, based on our history, or Northern Iowa based on playing style. It would be abso-freakin'-loutely awesome if Wichita State ended up being our Butler in the MVC.

I'm curious as to what you mean in "our Butler in the MVC"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

SubGod22 wrote:
I'm curious as to what you mean in "our Butler in the MVC"?

Our most heated rivalry in the Horizon was with Butler. We had a lot in common with Butler (uh, except winning consistently)-- we were the only two founding members of the conference left, we had similar academics, we had a lot of basketball history going back to the 1920s, we played them excruciatingly close most of the time, and there was a lot of exchange between our message boards. They were kind of the team we loved to hate, yet we had a grudging respect for their school and their athletic department. Most of their fans felt that we were a good school that was always "dangerous" to face, and when they lost to us, it was especially painful for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:07 pm 

We just lost our school kinda like that in CU. Except outside of large fan bases and good basketball, we had very little in common :)

If you haven't picked up on it yet, we seem to be the fanbase that everyone loves to hate and we do have a few posters who play that up and give some reason to hate us. I believe WSU fans are a knowledgable group but we are extremely confident in our program and that doesn't always come off well to others. Even when we sucked, we knew where we'd been and had faith we'd get back to prominence and many hate us for that. But we're also a group that loves discussion/debate and can get along with everyone.

I'd love if your program proved it belonged toward the top of the MVC and we have that sort of friendly rivalry in the future. We used to have that with Illinois State, who seemed to be the only fanbase that had our back and was civil. That changed over the last couple of years with some issues between the teams. We had an assistant who left early to go to ISU in Dana Ford. Marshall asks all of his assistants to commit to two years so when Dana left it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, including Marshall. Then there was the Jackie "Chan" Carmichael incident where on a rebound he appeared to deliberately kick one of our players in the face/upper chest area which was followed up with a heated exchange after the game in the tunnels when someone on the ISU staff got into it with one of our assistants and security had to get in between them. There's a little hostility now between the fans, but I'm hoping that dies down.

And Bradley and ISU hate each other so much that it may take quite a bit for one or both to acknowledge you in a larger sense. That has nothing to do with you and everything to do with a long lasting rivalry between the two.

Didn't mean to derail this topic, just wasn't sure what kind of relationship you guys had with Butler. Hopefully you find someone in the MVC to fill that void.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

Jason Calhoun is listed as Loyola's HEAD Coach on the website of the Women's Golf Coaches Association, which is interesting because, as I understood it, he was carried on the books at Loyola as the Assistant coach under Jack Martin.

http://www.ngca.com/i4a/ams/public/repo ... howTitle=1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:11 am 

I always thought that Jason was the head coach. That was how he was introduced at the last golf outing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:16 am 

you may be right about Jack. I'll ask the next time I see him.