It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Season Tickets
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm 

So when I got home today, I was greeted with a letter from the athletic department.

New for 2013, they have rebranded some of the sections. I used to sit in the Maroon section...it is now Gold. With the change comes a ticket price increase!!

Further, we will be required to make a per seat donation for each seat (prices go up with each level increase).

Finally, to add insult to injury, there is a processing fee!

This is nothing more than a cash grab and it is ridiculous. What has Loyola basketball done to merit this increase? A move to the MVC? That does nothing to the product on the court.

I am absolutely furious about these additions. I intend to let the ticket office know.

Post subject: Re: Season Tickets
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm 

For what it's worth, you can renew your tickets at the old price. The increase is for new buyers. The donation does apply, though.

Let us know how your call goes. I expected this and am just hoping that individual game tickets are lower.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm 

I know exactly how it will go. Just like all the suggestions I made 2 years ago...my words will be ignored. They'll say things like "we'll take that into consideration" and "That's an interesting suggestion."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:41 pm 

Are you saying Loyola is now making season ticket holders buy PSLs?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:51 pm 

Pretty much.

I'm not sure who in the department thought that we are actually Notre Dame, but they've certainly implemented ND like policies. The difference is that ND can actually do that...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 am 

I guess I expected prices to go up. I'm not thrilled with paying more, but it is what it is. Season tickets are a really important way to build a strong program, so I kind of knew what I was getting into.

And really, the price isn't that bad. My seats this year will cost $250 each. For 15 games, that's $17 per game, which is a significant discount from the face value.

Which of course brings me to the issue that I've harped on a few times -- the individual game tickets are too expensive. I'll leave it at that for now.

I'd really love to know what kind of market research the department has done. I know that as a season ticket holder I've never been surveyed. Seems like they are flying blind. No wonder they have angered so many.

Bottom line for me is if there are more Loyola fans with butts in the seats next year, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:17 am 

The way I see it, this is just a slap in the face of season ticket holders. They angered many season ticket holders two years ago with the Parking and Zips debacle. I fear they will alienate some with this move.

Again, if the product on the floor justified the increase, I would be fine. But there is no justification. Further, when there finally is a justification, you'd better believe that we'll see another increase. That's why I view this as a cash grab.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 am 

Somebody needs to go sit in on one of Dr. Gobin's econ classes. Sad to say but as far as season tickets go, it's likely my checkbook no longer demands their supply.

A seat donation could have been justified with opening the new arena. Not after what, a 6-28 conference record over the past 2 seasons?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 am 

We already know that the price will go up by another $50 per seat again next year for the old "Maroon" section. I highly doubt they will let be grandfathered in under the old rate for two years.

Tickets that were $200 last year are $250 this year ($200 seat + $50 donation), and I'm sure they will be $300 next year ($250 seat + $50 donation).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:18 am 

Just got off the phone with Nelson. I told him all the things we've discussed here. He understands the concern and has heard it from others. Some notes from our convo:

1. Post game events will be taking place in Ireland's. They will most likely be like the post game events this past year. There will be a fee associated.
2. The ticket office has heard from patrons about the "premium ticket pricing." They will be continuing it this year but will be more "strategic" about its use. He noted that 7 of 10 MVC schools have premium pricing.
3. The seat donation was discussed when the new Gentile opened but they didn't implement it. He's not sure why.
4. (this one is for Swella) The contract with Get Real Sports Sales will be in full force this year. They reach out to groups via outbound calls to bring them to games. They call Alum, Schools, Girl/Boy Scouts, etc.
5. There are MVC limits to scheduling. Can't have D2-D3 games and our non-con games have some RPI limit, apparently. He also noted that the non-con schedule will be coming out shortly.

Other notes:
1. They've heard the concern about the rocking of the chairs in the lower bowl, but nothing can be done about it. They've looked into the problem and will continue to look into the problem.
2. Working hard to get students to the games. It is their hope that the scheduling increases attendance.
3. New ticketing system this year. Cards for season ticket holders but you will be able to send your tickets electronically to friends for them to use. Further, there should be a system in place where you can sell single games of your tickets (i'd imagine like the Bulls system)

Nelson also encouraged season ticket holders to call and voice their opinions. He was very receptive about that and insistent that it truly does help them shape their policy.