It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:47 pm 

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:00 p.m.
Gentile Arena, Chicago

It’s a matchup between the teams picked to finish 9th and 10th in the MVC, but only the Bulldogs have played as predicted this season. Second year head coach Ray Giacoletti has previously coached at North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and Utah, but has yet to light a fire under the Bulldogs. At 0-4 in conference and 3-13 overall, the Bulldogs are struggling mightily. Their only three wins on the season have been home games vs. non-Division 1 Simpson, Jackson State, and IUPUI; in their past three games they’ve been held to an average of only 40.7 on offense and lost by an average of 28.3 points.

Drake will likely start a lineup of 7’ sophomore center Jacob Enevold Jensen, 6’6” senior guard/forward Chris Caird, 6’1” senior guard Gary Ricks, 6’2” freshman guard C.J. Rivers, and 6’1” freshman Reed Timmer. Top bench players include 5’10” senior Jordan Daniels, 6’6” senior forward Trevor Berkeley, 5’11” senior guard Karl Madison, 6’3” freshman Ore Arogundade (out of St. Viator), and 6’11” forward/center Kory Kuenstling (out of where else—Dunkerton, Iowa).

At 7’, Enevold catches the eye first and foremost, but his production has been inconsistent in his second year. Enevold averages 7.9 points and 5.7 rebounds per game, but you never know what he’ll give you from one game to another. He had 12 points, 15 rebounds and 3 blocks in 30 minutes against Wichita State, but three games later he had two points, zero rebounds, and 3 turnovers in only 15 minutes against Northern Iowa. Despite the presence of the 7-footer, Drake is the worst rebounding team in the league, behind even Loyola. Reed Timmer is the leading scorer and most consistent player for the Bulldogs, averaging 10.5 ppg, but he shoots under 40% from the field and only 26% from three point land. Ricks is another solid guard, averaging 9.2 points, shooting 38% from three, and adding 3.2 rebounds per game. Chris Caird is the best long range shooter, hitting on 44% of his threes in contributing 7.8 points a game. Tiny Jordan Daniels, a Boston College transfer coming off the bench, may be the most explosive player for the Bulldogs, averaging 8.6 ppg and leading the team in steals in an average of 21.8 minutes per game.

Drake has lost every game this year away from Des Moines by double digits, and the Ramblers should be able to handle the Bulldogs easily. Enevold may present a matchup problem, but probably doesn’t have enough offensive firepower to single-handedly win the game. Outside shooting and mid-range jumpers have to fall for the Ramblers, or it could be close. Letting Drake shoot too many free throws could also be a danger for Loyola, as Timmer, Daniels, Caird and Berkeley all shoot well over 80% from the line.

Loyola game notes: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/loy ... 113aaa.pdf

Drake game notes: http://www.godrakebulldogs.com//pdf9/31 ... M_ID=15700

TV/Streaming video: ESPN 3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/id ... la-Chicago)

Vegas line: Loyola by 15.5

EDIT: Drake lost by only nine poinsts at Murray State, so not all their defeats away from home were double digit losses.

Last edited by JCT on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:59 pm 

Fifteen and a half point favorites !! When was the last time we were that big a favorite in any conference play ?? We do appear to have arrived !!

Are our banged up three ready to go ?? Hope so . Advise Huntie !! Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:08 pm 

I predict a letdown Wednesday. I think we win, but if I were a betting man like 12 I'd take Drake and the points.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:44 pm 

As concerning as a letdown is a loss of confidence, or straying from the game plan and philosophy. In the Tulane game, we had a letdown, and the team was playing with less discipline and attention to the philosophy after beating UTSA and Kent State on the road. The Tulane game was a jarring example of what happens if Loyola isn't playing team ball according to plan. The WSU defeat was pretty emphatic, and I hope the players don't start free-lancing or straying from the game plan to try and do too much on their own.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:53 pm 

I'm a little worried about the big Dane. Giacoletti is a good coach; he probably do what Marty Simmons at Evansville should've done which is spread the floor and then throw it down low to the big man. If we play good team defense and help out, we'll neutralize their best matchup against us. Stay out of foul trouble (they have a lot of good free throw shooters for a very untalented team) and we should win.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm 

If the team takes a step back, evaluates where they're at right now, they should feel good. Yeah the loss hurt, but it's mid January and we currently have the highest RPI of any team in the State of Illinois (3 spots ahead of the Illini, according to CBS). Nobody in the conference had a tougher first 4 conference games than we did, and we came out of it with 2 wins. Now this week we have two games we absolutely should win (which, ironically, will likely hurt our RPI whether we win or lose). It's just a great thing to watch how this team is exceeding expectations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:05 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
I predict a letdown Wednesday. I think we win, but if I were a betting man like 12 I'd take Drake and the points.

If we had beaten Wichita State, I would call this a trap game, but coming off a loss, I think we come out hungry and control the game. Hopefully to such an extent that Doyle can rest up for SIU.

If either team is losing confidence, I'm comfortable saying it's probably the Drake. That said, 15 points in an awful lot, even against a team that's been getting pounded. I'd be more inclined at 11 or 12. And I have to miss this game for a trip to Vegas, of all places. (Swella, this doesn't mean you're off the hook.)

Remember: Win this one for Go!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:08 pm 

Vegas has us up 15 or so--I really hope they are as correct in this, as they were surely WRONG in Ohio State's wipe out of the Duckies !!

I believe we win say---75-- 63 !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

Remember: Win this one for Go!

Yea! Win this one for me!

Also because I'm on baby duty tomorrow night and so I can't be at the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:08 pm 

Tens of fans at the game!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next