It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Walter Wright
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:12 pm 

I think its pretty obvious that everyone knows the Payne family has a different way of looking basketball in relation to their kids. I don't believe that should affect the recruiting of Niego at all. Moser doesn't or why would he go after him. My vote will always be with an LT guy!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:51 pm 

Also Quinten Payne is currently playing for Dartmouth and as much as it hurts me to say it, its Dartmouth and thats the best thing for his future. Cant begrudge a family/kid for making the best choice for their future.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:59 pm 

The Ivy League doesn't have academic scholarships and I believe he's sitting out a transfer year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:00 pm 

oh im not talking about from a basketball standpoint, im thinking from the viewpoint of if you dont have a future in professional hoops getting an Ivy League education is a pretty nice fall back plan.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:42 pm 

ClevelandRambler I won't disagree about an Ivy League education, but history tends to repeat itself...his brother transferred twice after de-committing from a couple others. Q committed to LU, went to Ball St, transferred to Dartmouth. I'd guess it's off the board in Vegas that he doesn't finish @ Dartmouth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:02 pm 

Yeah I wouldnt be surprised to see him leave either, but I always assumed that family was looking for the next best thing/ a more favorable situation and youd have to think he probably wont find one given his limited eligibility and past.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:48 pm 

We have 2 open scholarships. Looking at our roster, I think one is probably going to a point guard (Wright, Niego, and others who may come along) and one is going to a power forward. Rafferty could very well be in play, and I don't think him and Niego are a package deal.

As for the Paynes, I think it hurts LU's chances if they're close to Niego, but I don't think it eliminates us. I also don't think Niego is a package deal with Payne. I also don't think Niego is guaranteed to play for five different schools like any of the Payne kids just because he's their cousin. But I agree with 440 that the Dartmouth education, albeit not comped, is a very alluring pull. And I personally think it's probably best for all parties to just cut the ties and not take any chances on another Payne.

Finally, recruiting changes in an instant; Roosevelt Smart's decommit happened minutes before he was supposed to sign on Signing Day. We always have to look for plans B, C, D in case Player A doesn't commit. I don't mind PM continuing to recruit point guards, even if we're really high on Niego's list.

Niego will be serviceable and a good student & model citizen off the court. But I don't think he's the future either. I wouldn't mind taking a JUCO or transfer for 2 years and letting PM find a stud point guard rather than give a scholarship to a 4 year role player who may start his senior year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:22 pm 

We are now joined by Sam Houston St., Towson, Fairfield (right around the road from Wright's hometown), and conference foe Bradley in the pursuit of Walter Wright's services.

https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/stat ... 3344290816

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:56 am 

Could this Break Bad for us? Is Wright related to that chemistry teacher dying of cancer in Albuquerque running a meth lab out of an RV in the desert.
They laundered their money through the car wash business. (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Could this Break Bad for us? Is Wright related to that chemistry teacher dying of cancer in Albuquerque running a meth lab out of an RV in the desert.
They laundered their money through the car wash business. (no pun intended).

You're saying he's related to Malcolm's dad?