It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Mid-Major Top 25
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
In defense of Big Joe: In the immortal words of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm 

01grad wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:
In defense of Big Joe: In the immortal words of George Santayana, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

+1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:00 am 

I'll admit that I've been pleasantly surprised by you guys thus far. I never would have predicted you guys would have such a strong noncon showing and I see no reason why you guys shouldn't be 20 game winners this season and have a legit shot at the NIT.

It won't happen this year, but if next season WSU is playing in Chicago on a weekend, I will seriously look into making the trip.

Congrats on the season so far and I hope that Moser has finally learned something and continues to coach the way he has. Sounds as though he's actually letting guys learn from mistakes and not sending them to the end of the bench to be lost there for a week or so before getting another opportunity. If he's loosened up a little in that regard and continues to recruit like he always has, you guys are in for some good times. As it's been his on court coaching that has held him back in the past. I want nothing more than to see you guys elevate your program. Nothing more outside of all things WSU anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:42 pm 

We are third in "Others Receiving". Wichita is #2 and UNI is #3. Evansville is #12 despite possessing the same record as us and losing to us on their home court.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
We are third in "Others Receiving". Wichita is #2 and UNI is #3. Evansville is #12 despite possessing the same record as us and losing to us on their home court.

Yea, I don't get that. Even our buddy Jesse has them in his Top 25 and us out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:48 pm 

Hey, at least these voters didn't put Kent State ahead of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm 

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in the Mid-Major Top 25. I don't even know what that means. Is it a politically correct way to say Minor? It's not Mid Major; it's Below Major. Once the Football factories begin paying players at levels we can't afford and push us into another division with a name that doesn't sound too humiliating like Basketball Championship Subdivision, maybe these ratings might make sense. For now, we're in your league, big guys, and we're comin' after ya.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm 

I think the only reason to care about it is that College Insider runs the poll and puts on the CIT tournament, which could be a target for us.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:09 pm 

Ironically, this list has lost a lot of its luster because lists like this and sites like midmajority.com helped promote the fact that mid-major teams were highly competitive with large conference teams, and especially so when differences in funding were taken into consideration. They raised the issue of scheduling imbalances and other inequities that resulted in an RPI calculation adjustment and more publicity for programs like Butler, Gonzaga, Davidson, George Mason. The Bracket Buster games, a lot of conference re-adjustment, and improvements in smaller conferences came out of it.

Now you've got the West Coast, MVC, Ivy League, MAC, and Horizon ranked higher than C-USA and the Big East is a big time basketball conference again. The West Coast and MVC now regularly challenge the A-10 and Mountain West for basketball conference strength, and a few years have even rivaled the SEC or Pac-10/12 in conference strength. The C-Tournaments and the NCAA's practice of giving auto NIT bids to conference regular season champions also came out of this.

So maybe it's outlived its usefulness, but it certainly helped create the top to bottom competitiveness we now see in college basketball.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:50 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
I think the only reason to care about it is that College Insider runs the poll and puts on the CIT tournament, which could be a target for us.

CIT? Why the low expectations, my friend? We're headed to the NIT this year!