It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wheatshockers !!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 pm 

What's wrong in Wichita ?? Shockers have trouble with Hawaii and now lose to Geo Wash. Is the Hoops world ALL getting better or are the Shockers just a better than average team--if that ????
What do you guys think ??

Post subject: Re: Wheatshockers !!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:21 am 

They really miss Cleanthony Early as a third weapon inside. I think they were expecting Carter and some new guys to step in and take his place without missing a beat. Having said that, they're still a Top 25 team. George Washington is very talented, and their only three losses are all on the road, to teams that have a combined record of 34-3. They probably won't drop too far in the rankings on Monday, because #3 Arizona, #7 Texas and #10 Kansas all lost this week to teams not as good as George Washington.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:54 am 

It's an unfortunate loss for the league. I still think they will be the top seed at Arch Madness, but if they can stay highly ranked, the battles between Wichita and UNI might help us end the season with two top-25 teams.

I didn't necessarily see some of these close games and losses coming, but before the season I really felt the loss of Early was going to hurt. Even if you like your newcomers, you can't easily replace a guy who should have been a first round draft pick. He was a presence not only inside, but outside as well. Last year at Gentile, it seemed like every time we got a couple baskets to start closing the gap, he would walk down and hit a three.

He clearly made the whole team better, and it seems like Baker and VanVleet are struggling a little bit with enhanced roles. Until proven wrong, I don't see Baker leaving after this year to be a second round pick. That talk appears overblown now. I hope they go 15-3 in conference with a loss to UNI and two to us!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:57 pm 

The problem with the Shockers this year is that they're not playing angry enough. The team has been mostly just nettled, piqued, or even merely miffed, and never downright furious or irate.

In the loss to George Washington, Ron Baker wasn't even mildly irritated, and Fred VanVleet actually had thoughts of good will toward men!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 pm 

You know a few losses by the mighty Wheatshockers are okay by me. I am not an admirer of hubris by anybody. A little humility is a good thing (and we should know!).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:32 pm 

roggirl wrote:
You know a few losses by the mighty Wheatshockers are okay by me. I am not an admirer of hubris by anybody. A little humility is a good thing (and we should know!).

Amen to this. I can't even read the MVC fans board.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:15 pm 

Well, Super-duper !! You and Gal are correct, for sure--in that the MVC Fans board is super-loaded with WSU Fans, some of which are fairly far out--BUT for the most part, they have given us nice props. My only problem so far is its Editor?-who wrote in his revue good things about us--except for two words--"For now".

Well, I am merely waiting for the chance to ram these arrogant words down his throat. It could be this year.

My hope is more Fans of other schools get on that Board--Its acually a fine one. 'cept for that. Having said that, do not SOME, not all, of their bloggers sound--or write -- like BUTLER fans ? Yuck !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:11 pm 

I think the "For now" caveat is perfectly justified. We've had a lot of good non-con starts (1999-2000 9-3, 2009-10 10-2, 2012-13 9-3) where we were a completely different team once conference play began. The thing that differentiates this year's team from those others is overall effort, unselfishness, being defensive-minded, and the quality of our wins-- Boise State is a Top 50 RPI team picked to finish behind San Diego State in the Mountain West, Texas Tech is a team that will knock off a few mid-level Big 12 teams, and Kent State will win 20 and challenge for a MAC title. Plus, all three of those wins were away from home.

I think Wichita State fans are pretty much "contained" considering their success over the past four years. They've won an NIT, got to a Final Four, finished 35-0 in the regular season, and came into this year with a Top 25 ranking. Unlike Butler, for example, they draw sold-out crowds and have a huge fanbase, so it's not surprising they have a few yahoos tagging along for the ride. I'll take their most obnoxious fans over Butler's "the ball is orange because of us" and "we've got TWO imaginary national championships" crowd any day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:03 pm 

Cannot agree this time 63--THIS is a far different team than those in the past. We shoot better--we defend way better--we even frebound well despite our size--We play our bench and go deeply into it- We listen to the Coaches--AND we have Milton. Past teams of ours had one maybe two of the foregoing BUT not all of them. I have said this in the past--We have too many guns--Well this time it is a fact. Maybe we will flop again but I truly doubt it.
The only thing I see as a weakness is our size and the team is making a mockery of that. Fifth or better in Conference--I shall settle for sixth even.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:05 am 

A great team loses a great player and has a slight falling off. The Shockers are still a top 25 team and the best in the MVC.
They will sustain their excellence and the final record will show that. For now, they are making the natural transition.
I wish them well except when they play the Ramblers.
We are better too but we have to be careful. Milton is very important and is just one wrong move away from reinjuring himself. Our depth this year allows the Coach to rest him more. Looking forward to the January 11th contest.