It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: OUR TOURNEY
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:01 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
If you think about it , "of" is actually hard to define, especially without context.

Well...that depends on what your definition of the word "is" is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:20 pm 

Is it necessary to scrape and fawn over Wichita State? It seems to me that their own fans do more than enough chest-pounding, worshipping and bloviating on their own. Leave them to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:45 am 

roggirl wrote:
Is it necessary to scrape and fawn over Wichita State? It seems to me that their own fans do more than enough chest-pounding, worshipping and bloviating on their own. Leave them to it.

They play the game the way it is supposed to be played. They don't have a bunch of 5 star recruits running around waiting for their NBA contract. There is no reason why every MVC fan should not be cheering for them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:02 am 

Beautifully said 2011---and brief as well--something I am not good at. One more thing--Shocker Fans--compare them such as Sub et al with some of the tripe that came out of Indy in our soon to be forgotten past.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 am 

Acknowledging the fact that there are some nice Shockers fans who post on Ramblermania. ..
Has anybody checked out the sense of superiority, contempt, and vitriol on full display on other message boards? THEY do not want to stay in the MVC.

Acknowledging political and power issues in the history of the Horizon League. ..
The Butler team itself played the game the right way. (Perhaps with some gratuitous flopping!)
Players and coach with class and charisma.
Un
Acknowledging the absolutely extraordinary winning streak of Wichita State...
The team lacks charisma. Gregg Marshall (?) is no Brad Stevens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:25 am 

roggirl wrote:
Acknowledging the fact that there are some nice Shockers fans who post on Ramblermania. ..
Has anybody checked out the sense of superiority, contempt, and vitriol on full display on other message boards? THEY do not want to stay in the MVC.

Acknowledging political and power issues in the history of the Horizon League. ..
The Butler team itself played the game the right way. (Perhaps with some gratuitous flopping!)
Players and coach with class and charisma.
Un
Acknowledging the absolutely extraordinary winning streak of Wichita State...
The team lacks charisma. Gregg Marshall (?) is no Brad Stevens.

Gonna have to disagree. There will always be fans that are obnoxious. Butler had them too. But that's not the big disagreement. I think that WSU has charisma. Notwithstanding his sixth grade haircut, Ron Baker is a great story and he plays with a ton of heart. Gregg Marshall exudes confidence. He looks like the Izzo's, Coach K's and Roy Williams' of the world. He has gotten the most out of his players. I think that we (and Porter) should aspire to be like WSU and Gregg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 am 

If one does not like arrogance --nee confidence--one would have despised IRELAND !! He took our Ramblers into the teeth of the segregation South and jammed it done their throats !! An example--The record Tenn Tech game plus others.
During the Championship run, you just did not mess with his RAMBLERS--'cept for Bowling Green and WHEAT-SHOCKERS of course. BTW that game is a perfect example of why I for one have respected WSU down through the years --and NOW we get them twicw a year--or more each year. Need to even things up and we shall.But for now--GO SHOCKERS !!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:51 pm 

You're right, Brot. Maybe I would have despised Ireland as a coach. But I don't think that arrogance is the same as confidence. Not at all. I have never been an admirer of the brutish, Mike Ditka-ish kind of coach. This seems to be Marshall's style. He publicly disses other programs. This is not admirable, or something we should want in our program.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 am 

When has Marshall ever publicly dissed another program? He'll talk up Wichita State all day and he doesn't blow smoke up anyones ass, but I can't recall him actually talking down any programs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:22 pm 

Michigan State