It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:29 pm 

I was cruising through the verbalcommits site and just did a comparison on the average Star ratings for all the MVC schools. Only Drake had a lower ranking than us. Surprisingly WS was 3rd with Bradley and Indiana State rated higher.
Out of our incoming players it would seem shooting guard Ben Richardson is our highest ranked incoming recruit with a Scout 3 star. Interesting that Milton Doyle is only a 2 star and other than going to Kansas his list of offers was not that impressive with Western Michigan and UW-GB being the most impressive. I know these things are not completely accurate. We are recruiting a couple of guys who are getting big time interest from other schools.
Nick Rogers a point guard has an offer from Nebraska
Connor Cashaw, shooting guard from Stevenson, offer from Boston College
Brandon Hutton, a small forward from DeLasale has offers from Iowa and Wisconsin
Matt Rafferty, power forward from Hindsdale Central has MAC offers from Toledo and NIU
Barret Benson a sophomore center, yes center, from Hindsdale South has offers from Penn State, Depaul and Oregon st.
It would seem out of our current players Nick Osbourne had the most interest with an offer from Northwestern and several MAC schools. I do not think TUrk and King had offers.
It is kind of a cruel circle....winning will get better recruits, you need better recruits to win. An example is WSU. There committed players for next year are 3 stars and their recruits that are Jrs are mostly 4 stars.
INteresting how many 4 stars UNI is going after. It would seem in recruiting Bradley, ISU and WSU are reaching higher than us. Also Bradley really is recruiting Chicago.

Also where do other people go to find good recruiting news on Loyola?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't put a whole lot of rock solid credence in the star ratings. For one thing, I think they don't update the star ratings much after a student makes a committment, so late bloomers and early commits are sometimes left with the ranking they had as 16 year olds when they go off the table. Second, I always get the impression that the schools with interest/making offers influences the star ratings-- so if Illinois and Purdue are looking at a player (even if he's fourth or fifth on their priority list), the star rating seems to drift up. Then there are other mitigating factors, like liklihood of maintaining eligibility, competition in recruiting areas, etc. Just my opinion, I tend to stay away from the recruiting mess because it's so confusing and subjective.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 pm 

Im excited for siu's recruit Jordan Caroline. Jordan is a 6'6 sf who is a 3 star recruit and plays for monte verde high school, the number one high school in the nation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:52 pm 

I've been so impressed with SIU and especially Hinson this year. Glad to hear there is a nice recruit coming in.

In general I agree with 63, and I try to not get too wrapped up in recruiting. At some point you have to trust that your staff is bringing in the right guys.

That said, I think it was Pomeroy who wrote something last year showing the differences in scoring among star levels by year in college. That opens my eyes a little bit. Using the type of school that recruits a guy as a proxy for his skill level kind of makes sense when you think about it. The best schools are competing for the best players.

Sorry, this is the second time today I've cited an article without linking. One of you older guys can look it up (coughSWELLAcough).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:14 pm 

ikenna-okwarabizie is another kid we are recruiting, i hope barry can pull this one off. IKenna is a 6'11 center from nigeria. Having a really tall body would do us wonders.