It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mertz Center
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm 

Useing the 2nd floor of the Mertz is better than useing the 2nd floor of the Norville. The west windows of the Mertz provide a nice view of Sheridan Road and the "L" but the south windows faceing the Norville Center need to be incorporated. Interesting idea to use a now under-utilized facility.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm 

I think you're confusing Mertz with Centennial Forum. They're attached, but have separate identities in Loyola's lexicon.

Toledo,

I may have been a tad too snarky. I actually like the idea of having an on-campus pub for alums to meet prior/after games; I just think the top floor of Mertz is not the place to put it.

The renovation of Centennial Forum is Phase 5 of the Reimagine Campaign, scheduled to begin following the completion of the Halas Center addition. As I understand it, the renovated Centennial Forum will be the center for alumni relations. Maybe they can/will include a pub.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:41 pm 

I really think that a campus pub is a great idea. I know that it would draw me back to more basketball games. I don't drink much, but I like the option to knock a few back and I just like the atmosphere of pubs especially when they are connected to university life.

I had a friend who went to the University of Wisconsin and I remember going to their student union where they have the Rathskeller and then the Terrace outdoors on the lake during the warm months. It's just a really great vibe and a lot of fun. Of course, Loyola could do something great on a much smaller scale. Those sorts of things draw students and people from the wider community. A campus pub at Loyola could possibly even attract people from Rogers Park and Edgewater, and give Loyola somewhat of a 'regional' (or neighborhood, in this case) fan-base that state schools can sometimes benefit from. Loyola sports used to benefit from Catholic, northside residents coming to games and cheering them on, but I think this is changing.

I can just imagine a pub and cafe with outdoor patio seating with a lake view as part of a refurbished Crown Center. That would be fantastic. Unfortunately, it seems that a campus pub just isn't in the cards. Garanzini and the rest of the administration are extremely anti-drinking as it relates to the student body (despite Jesuits enjoying top-shelf malted, fermented, and distilled beverages ;)). A campus pub would run counter to the message that they sending undergrads. And it's been an effective message: Loyola does not have much of an undergrad drinking culture, at all.

The administration has made some interesting choices in making campus more of an all-inclusive 'bubble' in recent years. Don't get me wrong: I think what they have done is beautiful. I understand that part of it is safety and convincing suburban parents that the university is an oasis in the big city, but it has also cut out the local community. I know crime is still a problem, but the neighborhood is rapidly gentrifying (with potential basketball fans!). As an illustrative example, I always think about how the lakeshore trail effectively stops at Loyola and inhibits people from riding through campus and continuing up toward Evanston. Basically, cyclists need to jog all the way west to Clark.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 am 

I completely agree with Goramblers! I think it's all about building the culture starting with the undergrads!!! I think EVERYONE would agree that we need more participation from our alumni through both financial and physical presence. But why would an alum contribute to LU basketball if they went to 3 basketball games in their entire college career?!?!? It's going to be very very difficult to get those butts and their wallets into the Gentile after they've graduated!

Our undergrads is our "farm system". We need to make it fun for the students to come to the games. We have to make game day the most exciting day of the week for our students. We have to provide life long memories of going to ramblers basketball games! My freshman year I still remember being introduced to the "Molis Meter" and I'm still a loyal fan because of silly rememberable things like that.

So... get the students involved. How about dorm competitions? The dorm that brings the most students to a game gets a pizza party (pick the location) with THE TEAM! When I was a college student we would do just about anything for some hot JBs.

Go Ramblers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am 

Robbie Aces.....I agree...turn the whole game day experience over to the students...I think dorm competition is a great idea but let the students choose the music......plan the goofy chants.....How bout an L U call back from the student section to the Alum section?????? make it fun YES...... Bring back BO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am 

Robbie Aces wrote:
When I was a college student we would do just about anything for some hot JBs.

Go Ramblers!

I thought you were going another way with that one for a second, same sentiment none the less.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am 

Maybe a mild case of dyslexia?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 am 

One thing Wichita State has done is they created the Shocker Maniacs. I'm not 100% sure how it works but being a member qualifies students for certain discounts or awards. And it's not just for basketball. They check in when attending a game and earn points. I believe they get 1 point for men's basketball and 2 points for other sports. These students are also entered into drawings for scholarships or having their books paid for for a semester and I think even a trip to the MVC tournament. I'm sure there are other things that go with it but it encourages student support and gives them a thank you for being a part of the atmosphere.