It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: About Done !!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:28 am 

Well, this season is about done. I had High hopes that we would do better than we have--but it is what it is. We are just too young and have little strength in the "BIG" dept. That is deadly in this league--They say the MVC is a play tough sort of conference--That may be--maybe next year we will exert such muscle--but then if we do, some opponent will ask the ref to review to check the monitor.--Maybe yes--maybe not--but we truly are the new kid in the school yard--We have NOT had many calls go our way--PLUS the fact , we are not good enough yet--I was hoping we would be as I said--but the prognosticators ere probably correct and I was not. WE are a low end bunch this time. We RAMBLERS deserve better. Next year will be the 'rug cuttin' " year.

Am truly sorry to whine like this--But so many years have ended this same way--We truly deserve a winner--This regime may not be it--AGAIN !! No excuses next year, WIN or else, I think.

Post subject: Re: About Done !!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:26 pm 

Don't despair, Brot. A Change in Culture can happen. Look at this. David Haugh says Chris Collins has already done it at Northwestern:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 262.column

At Loyola, we are near the end of the 3rd year, but Culture Change is still around the corner. Everyone says it's not wins and losses. But no one declared CC at Northwestern until they had a streak of winning 4 out of 5. Could we please have one of those signs of culture change? Thought the 9-3 start last year was it, but the old Culture still seems to be hanging around. Nice to know CC can happen so suddenly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:18 pm 

I know Chris Collins and Porter Moser is no Chris Collins.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently, the culture change hasn't fully taken hold yet. After winning 4 out of their last 5 games in the Big 10, including road wins at Indiana, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, Northwestern lost at home today to Nebraska.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:30 pm 

Ah! But remember CC is not based on wins and losses - when you lose.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:48 am 

I know we are all getting tired of hearing Culture Change...but I think what we are talking about is 25 years of negligence to the the whole Athletic Department. We really ran a Division I program like a DIII program. It had effects . The national and local media had lost contact with LU. Couldnt have found us with a GPS. and with that went the attention of high school coaches and athletes, AAU programs as well. Along with that the very quick " why would I go to Loyola?" Our reputation was now sunk and for a very long period. Along with that went the rep of bad coaches(i remove Coach Whitesell from that cuz I thought he was a quality guy) bad facilities, bad conference,bad schedule, bad attendence ,horrible popcorn, even the student body had for the most part lost contact.
So now we are in to the 3rd year of a re-imagine program. We are not seeing the success we would like but we are seeing some small signs, a new conference, student attendance occasionally looks better, new facility, some impressive recruits, a re-connection with the chicago area ( Fred Mitchell of the Trib covering the games) the real deal is under water at the high school and AAU level. What are those guys saying about Porter Moser and the program and that I dont know and I doubt anyone on the board does.
My point is that we built ourselves a really deep hole and we are just starting to attempt to climb out of it. The one thing we do know is that we are not out of the hole yet and culture change is about more than just starting to win it is turning around the long list of things LU neglected for 25 years in running a DI program.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:29 am 

smokeyjoe wrote:
I know we are all getting tired of hearing Culture Change...but I think what we are talking about is 25 years of negligence to the the whole Athletic Department. We really ran a Division I program like a DIII program. It had effects . The national and local media had lost contact with LU. Couldnt have found us with a GPS. and with that went the attention of high school coaches and athletes, AAU programs as well. Along with that the very quick " why would I go to Loyola?" Our reputation was now sunk and for a very long period. Along with that went the rep of bad coaches(i remove Coach Whitesell from that cuz I thought he was a quality guy) bad facilities, bad conference,bad schedule, bad attendence ,horrible popcorn, even the student body had for the most part lost contact.
So now we are in to the 3rd year of a re-imagine program. We are not seeing the success we would like but we are seeing some small signs, a new conference, student attendance occasionally looks better, new facility, some impressive recruits, a re-connection with the chicago area ( Fred Mitchell of the Trib covering the games) the real deal is under water at the high school and AAU level. What are those guys saying about Porter Moser and the program and that I dont know and I doubt anyone on the board does.
My point is that we built ourselves a really deep hole and we are just starting to attempt to climb out of it. The one thing we do know is that we are not out of the hole yet and culture change is about more than just starting to win it is turning around the long list of things LU neglected for 25 years in running a DI program.

Stay with it. As an outsider looking in I see bright spots. Obviously attendance is an issue but winning cures all as they say. I am expecting a good crowd for you guys today with an in state rival coming to town. Hopefully you guys pack the place when WSU comes in. Beating them would do wonders in advancing your program. The students will get to see it all over ESPN. That may even help with recruiting. As a member of the Valley it is a big deal if WSU can go deep again in the tourney. Gives the recruiting coaches a little something in their pocket with the "why not us we play in the same conference." Doyle is a heck of a player to build around.