It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tonight (1/29)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 pm 

That's a good question. On the one hand, that would partially "break the tie", but not fully. I'd assume that if you can't seed all four teams using the "mini round robin" that it just goes straight to non-con SOS among all four.

Quote:
If head-to-head competition does not break the tie, the deadlock will be broken by non-conference schedule strength as calculated by The RPI Report on the day before the final day of conference games. The teams will be seeded in order of their non-conference schedule strength.

I do see how things are murky in your scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

If the inability to fully break the tie within the mini round robin throws all four (or more) teams to the non-con SOS, we're pretty much screwed. We could conceiveably tie for fourth, and end up seeded 10th. That Portland MTE pretty much killed us on that count, without regard to whether we won or lost the games... If we had instead taken one guarantee game at a BCS school and been demolished by 30 points, it would have been better for the non-con SOS than winning all three MTE games.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE: Via MVC Associate Commissioner Mike Kern, a four way tie would be broken first.

That's a relief. I think I've got this whole tiebreaker thing now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 pm 

So, they first separate by wins against other teams with the same record and only then to go non-con SOS?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

ahunte1 wrote:
So, they first separate by wins against other teams with the same record and only then to go non-con SOS?

Yes.

The scenario I presented was four teams tied, two have a 4-2 record, two have a 2-4 record within the round robin. Evidently, they take the two 4-2 teams out, and use the head-to-head tiebreaker procedure for those two teams.

This is kind of interesting, because there's no "reward" for teams beating a higher seed within the conference, other than the win itself. For example, SIU's win against probable #2 seed Indiana State last night did nothing to help them in a tiebreaker if they end the season tied with any teams besides Indiana State. Likewise, our wins against UNI and MSU don't mean anything if we're tied with Evansville, Drake, and SIU-- other than the fact that we got into a tie with those teams because of a win. In this sense, you're better off winning the games you're supposed to win than going off one or two nights and upsetting top teams. Hence, our loss at home to SIU was much more damaging than our home win against UNI or Missouri State was beneficial.

Bottom line now is Saturday's game agains SIU is HUGE, and so are the games against Evansville and Drake. Better for us from a tiebreaker standpoint if we beat Drake in Iowa than UNI.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:26 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:

Speaking of names....I went to school with a Murray Scenario and his younger brother Marky.

I'm sorry, but as hard as I try I cannot get into RPIs, SOSs, conference tie breakers and the like, especially with half the season to go.

I like animated gifs though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

swellafelon wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:

Speaking of names....I went to school with a Murray Scenario and his younger brother Marky.

Wasn't their sister Rosie at that school, or did she graduate a year early?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm 

Good line, 63, but where's the gif?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Turns out MVCfans.com is indeed doing the Arch Madness seeding projection:

http://www.mvcfans.com/wp/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:46 pm 

It looks like our only chance to avoid a very early exit is to win three more games and for Bradley to lose their final five. Not impossible, but it's a long shot. If that happened we would be the 7th seed, probably face Drake and then Indiana State on Friday night should we win.

This scenario would require us to win road games at Drake and at Bradley, plus beat Evansville at home on the final day of the season.

If everything stays on the current course, we will be the 8 or 9 seed and thereby become the first sacrificial lamb for Wichita at high noon on Friday even if we manage to win our Thursday game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next