It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:03 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:
jturner38 wrote:
Why were you expecting to be blown away? The MVC is known for taking down top or ranked programs but beat each other up in conference. That has always been the MVC.

Not necessarily blown away...I guess I was expecting a noticeable difference between LU and the rest of the MVC. After all, that's all we've heard from our MVC brethren...that we are a noticeably worse team.

And yet the fan poll on that other board picked us 7th.

Sure, the votes ended up that way. And I think it's right. But take a look at the things that they've said about us over there. Vocal minority? Sure, but it was still said.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 pm 

No doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:19 pm 

jturner38 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:
Indiana State should be solid. I like Lansing but they need to step it up recruiting a bit as I don't see anyone ready to take over for Odum or Arop.

Recruting is fine. We have two freshmen redshirting and have 3 coming in. The person the most likely take Odum torch is redshirt freshmen Brenton scott, twin brother of Bryson Scott @ Purdue. And Khristian Smith will take over for Arop, Smith has been our 6th man aka "Silent assasin".
That's what I get for just typing off the top of my head. I do like Smith and think he could be a player. I don't watch all of your games so I'm not sure at what level he's currently at, but I could see him replacing Arop. I hope your recruiting is going well. I don't follow everyone.

A general comment about recruiting is I'd like to see more teams playing more younger guys with their older leaders. Kind of like Smith and Arop. I think it helps keep teams from taking much of a step back when certain guys graduate. A lot of teams seem to get a good class and then surround them with supporters but don't recruit to replace or exceed them until they'r seniors. At least that's how it appears many times. WSU has graduated 14 seniors I believe the past 3 years but have guys ready to step in or backing up those guys before they're gone. I know it doesn't always work, but we need more success as a whole.

I could be way off base but that's been my perception of things with many programs and it's not always just the MVC.

And not to be too much of a homer, but I love the quote from 3G a while back, "We don't recruit backups here." Some guys never quite develop like you'd like, but everyone he targets and brings in he feels are capable of starting. And those starting spots are earned. I feel a number of our bench guys could start for most teams in the MVC. I know I'm biased but I love our talent level in Wichita and what we add next year. And as far as this year goes, and next, I feel we'd be even better if DJ Bowles didn't end up with a heart condition. Thankfully we've been able to fill that 'ship with a 6'3" PG from TX next year so I think we'll be good for a few more years. But I'll stop before I get carried away talking about our new guys. That's not what this thread is about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm 

And don't worry too much about what the blowhards on that MVC board say and think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 pm 

SubGod22 wrote:
I don't think people talking about the Creighton/Loyola swap are blaming Loyola as much as saying that's led to a big hit on perception and RPI. An MVC with both Creighton and Wichita would be seen as a lot stronger than what we have now. Both are top 25 type teams and that would boost the likes of UNI and ISUb as well as WSU by having another top team to go against.

With that said, this is as bad as I've seen the MVC in at least the last 15 years when I started paying much closer attention to the sport in general. A lot of youth out there. I saw a similar discussion on I think the Redbird board today. Someone had asked if the MVC would ever get better.

My thoughts are as follows.

Wichita will continue to be a good program. They'll return a lot of talent and I like what they're bringing in.

Loyola has a solid young core and if Moser can recruit more talent to support them they'll improve over the next couple of years for sure.

Illinois State has a lot of new faces but some good talent. Need more post depth but they could win some games the next few years.

Drake has what I feel is a good coach, but we have to see how he recruits and develops. Too early to tell for sure.

Indiana State should be solid. I like Lansing but they need to step it up recruiting a bit as I don't see anyone ready to take over for Odum or Arop.

UNI will always be well coached with Jacobson and look to have some good young pieces. Another year or two and they'll be even better.

SIU was left in a big hole by Lowery. It's going to take Hinson some time.

Bradley I think will get better when Lemon is gone. I like some of their young pieces but something isn't working. Give them 2 more years and you'll see good progress.

Evansville is Evansville.

Missouri State has some nice young players as well. If they can stay healthy and get another couple recruiting classes to fill in some things they could be pretty good starting next year.

I really do believe we can and should be competing with the A10 and those conferences from 6-10. And I think we will be in the next year or two.

You guys will definitely get better. I know you're losing, but you've been competitive and just haven't developed how to win those games. It really is a culture thing. Marshall has focused on bringing in talent from winning HS and AAU teams. Not just good players, but players who come from winning programs and have that swagger and confidence and just attitude of winning. You'll get over that hump and when you do, you have a high ceiling.

Since subgod is either too lazy, too uninformed, or both, I will complete his Evansville comment.

One of the 5 youngest teams in D-1 will continue to take their learning lumps this season. The talent of Ballentine, Boo, Mock and possibly Simmons if he can beef up some, make this the most promising teams of the Marty era. There are certainly question marks that there won't be defections, but there is actually some light with this team.

Recently, the local paper disclosed that a group of well connected boosters have formed a seperate task force, for the sole purpose of improving the basketball product. Part of this also includes a very generous increase in funding from these boosters for this purpose. UE is currently mid-pack in the MVC in basketball funding. We are dead last in coaching salary, which is primarily a hometown discount for an unproven D-1 coach. Should Marty need to be replaced at some point, it is apparent we will have a little more money to throw at a replacement. Of course, huge salaries alone don't make a good coaching hire....ask SIU and Chris Lowery.

A new multi-million dollar basketball practice facility opened on campus last year. That, along with a new, 130 million dollar arena make our facilities on par with anyone in the conference.

Since you have only been following basketball for a few years, you probably aren't aware that we spent our first 7 years in the Valley leading this conference in attendance. 10K-11K for all of those seasons. Or that we had a 20+ year period averaging over 8500 per season. This ended when Crews was ran out of town by a new president and AD, who both nearly killed the program with some very moronic moves. Fortunately they are both long gone and we appear to have admins more committed to the athletic programs again. Another interesting tidbit, the conference RPI jumped 7 places the season we joined. I am sure there were some other factors, but we certainly didn't drag it down when we joined. I'm sure the older Loyola fans here can vouch for the success and state of our program in the MCC years. Not to mention, the MCC was a better conference than the MVC during that era.

I am not arguing that things haven't really sucked for us Aces fans for the last decade...and I understand that many barbs are justifiably earned. But as a 40 year plus fan, I can tell you for the first time in a few years, I can actually see this program headed back to where we were 15+ years ago. Of course, Cub fans always feel this is their year as well. I can also tell you as a long time fan, the upside of a winning Aces program is higher than several of our fellow conference members.

My point of coming on here originally was to discuss last weeks game with our old rivals from the MCC. I wasn't aware of the delay on the approval process and wasn't able to get in before the game. Reading this post, I was going to tell them that I understood their frustration with the Valley board. I was a regular poster from about 95 on the old Valley boards. I started when the Valley board was a BB on AOL. Like many of the old timers, who I still see on the various school boards, I completely quit going to Valleytalk or whatever it is now due to the cesspool that a few posters were turning it into. I didnt expect to see any of them here as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 am 

None of them are here. I assume that was a shot at me and I haven't posted on that board for years.

I'm glad UE is finding some money to help, that hasn't been the case and there's no reason I should know any of that. However, I'm not sold on UE. They couldn't ride Ryan to more than a midlevel finish and I don't see them doing that with the current group or philosophy. I like DJ and Mock a lot, but I don't think relying on one guy to do everything, like they did with Ryan and are doing with Ballentine, is going to work. I think Mock could be better utilized. I like Marty, but I've started to wonder if he can adapt and make the Aces better. I think that's a valid thought process at this point and I've heard some in Evansville feel similar.

I think Evansville is probably a Thursday team this year. They could perhaps finish 6th but with as weak as the bottom of the MVC is, that doesn't impress me considering some of the talent they have. And I'm not sure they'll ever finish higher than 5th with their current system and/or coach. Hence, Evansville is Evansville.

Sorry if I offended you. Perhaps I should have said I don't think Evansville will get much better with the current staff on board. Would that have made you happier than Evansville is Evansville?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:35 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
jturner38 wrote:
Why were you expecting to be blown away? The MVC is known for taking down top or ranked programs but beat each other up in conference. That has always been the MVC.

Not necessarily blown away...I guess I was expecting a noticeable difference between LU and the rest of the MVC. After all, that's all we've heard from our MVC brethren...that we are a noticeably worse team.

That's what we all thought but that just shows you that you guys are not as bad as we all thought. Doyle, man that kid can ball. Anyways, you guys just can't execute for 40 minutes aka two halves. Only reason why MVC fans are pissed about is how bad your non-conference schedule was (not your fault - HL suck balls) and that yall lost so many games to some bad teams. That is what hurt the conference as a whole but it wasnt just you guys tho so dont feel bad. Obviously youre not Creighton but with joining the MVC that should in fact benefit you guys in attendance, scheduling and recruiting starting next season. If you guys can just learn how to finish next season no telling what you can do next season. Wish you guys the best except against my Sycamores. =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 am 

SubGod22 wrote:
jturner38 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:

Recruting is fine. We have two freshmen redshirting and have 3 coming in. The person the most likely take Odum torch is redshirt freshmen Brenton scott, twin brother of Bryson Scott @ Purdue. And Khristian Smith will take over for Arop, Smith has been our 6th man aka "Silent assasin".
That's what I get for just typing off the top of my head. I do like Smith and think he could be a player. I don't watch all of your games so I'm not sure at what level he's currently at, but I could see him replacing Arop. I hope your recruiting is going well. I don't follow everyone.

Yea he is one of the most improved players in the Valley this year. He would be a starter for most. He is basically our 6th starter. He was orignally committed to Cincinatti but bc he had to go to prep school, Cincinatti backed off and we swooped in, he had to wait a year before he could play. He is only a sophmore right now and is helping us where we are at right now. Yes I said a SOPHMORE lol If you look up his stats he has had some nice games, 27, 28, 18, etc. He is just a lil inconsistent at times which is expected but much better from last year. As far as the freshmen we have now and the ones coming in you can go to sycamorepride.com and look at profiles for anybody on the team or coming in or possibly recruiting.