It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Team vs O'Leary
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:41 pm 

Well. did you ever notice how hard our team is working ? That includes the Coaches--right or wrong in their thinking---they are busting their bottoms out there, as a team.
Now comes O'Leary and his foot thing. One might say, his antic--IF TRUE--cost us the game, He scores some BUT plays Defense a lot--He most probably would have corralled the SIU top scorer. At least based on previous play, he would have held him down somewhat. That is what Matt does--or did.
I'm sorry, but if this dumb stunt is true, it tells an awful lot about him. He FORGOT what got him to LUC. His place on the team--is just that--a place on our team. This is not a Frat party or food fight ala Belushi.
As far as I am concerned he let himself down but more importantly, he let his TEAM down.--With him in there , we probably would have won by ten goin' away.

A comparison--Tanner hurt himself working hard--O'Leary hurt himself fooling around.

I still do not feel this allegation is true--If it is, faggedabout him.

Post subject: Re: The Team vs O'Leary
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:10 am 

Brot,
It is TRUE.In fact another player was involved in the stunt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 am 

I've been ribbing Matt on another thread (under the assumption that he will make a quick and full recovery from his case of frostbite), but I don't think we should come down too hard on him. Granted, it was a dumb stunt, but who among us at his age didn't do things as dumb or dumber?

I'm sure his teammates have forgiven him and we should too.

I hope Matt returns soon and tears up the league!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 am 

swellafelon wrote:
I've been ribbing Matt on another thread (under the assumption that he will make a quick and full recovery from his case of frostbite), but I don't think we should come down too hard on him. Granted, it was a dumb stunt, but who among us at his age didn't do things as dumb or dumber?

I'm sure his teammates have forgiven him and we should too.

I hope Matt returns soon and tears up the league!

I agree. The jokes are funny but i'm sure we all just want him to recover and get back to basketball. I can think of several of my "stunts" when I was his age.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:23 am 

Agree with the above. But sounds like this started in the locker room - where the hell are the captains?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:51 am 

These are just college kids, they are gonna do stupid things because doing stupid things is fun. I think the story is kinda funny and he'll probably remember that much longer than any 5 point, 4 rebound game against a cellar dweller from the MVC. Let him be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am 

I agree with you guys. I'm not going to be too hard on a 19/20 year old kid for doing something dumb. Even if it was incredibly dumb.

Hope he gets back soon. We need him.

His status came up in the postgame press conference, and Moser clearly did not want to talk about it. Quote was something like: We hope he can play Saturday, but we just don't know. It's going to be day to day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:26 am 

This might start a whole new thread on stupid college pranks we were involved in...........I remember hitting golf balls at the el from in front of Alumni Gym on a bet after a night of philosophizing at Hamiltons......and loosing the police inside Mertz.......Aw college....... But Matt owes us one and I am sure he will deliver.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 am 

Swimming out to the sandbar @ Loyola Beach after closing Hamilton's, not wise.

In all honesty I guess it's just disappointing - I think LU wins that game with him on the floor. @ ISU is very winnable and they'd have had a real shot to be 3-1 in league play which would've been a very pleasant surprise start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 pm 

This is a true (and very sad) story about how college stunts can go horribly wrong.

I was living at the Alpha Sigma Phi house on Columbia. It was a very windy day in November. I got back from the library about 8:00 p.m. A bunch of brothers had watched the movie The Vikings on tv earlier in the week and decided to head out for the Pratt Avenue pier to challenge the waves and shout Odin! Odin!, like in the movie. Nobody was drunk.

About 10-15 of us bundled up and walked on the beach to the pier. We started shouting Odin! Odin! as we ventured out onto the pier. At first it was fun, but it soon became clear that we had gotten ourselves into a dangerous situation. The waves were crashing all around us. I remember clinging for dear life to the metal guy wires on the sides of the pier when a wave would hit. All of a sudden, a really powerful wave poured over the pier, and it knocked about 3 or 4 guys into the lake, north of the pier (which has since filled in with sand.)

The rest of us scrambled to pull them out of the water. We managed to get everybody except Mickey Keane, whose brother John Keane was there too. Mickey was too far from shore when he fell in, and the waves, or undertow or whatever, took him away from shore. We were stunned. Everything happened so fast and everything changed in an instant.

They recovered his body a few months later in Indiana.