It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transfer Portal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:21 pm 

Trey Lewis is portaling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:21 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:56 pm 

On3 has Justin Moore as a 3-Star Transfer, the 336th best player in the transfer portal and the 62nd ranked Point Guard.

If you're looking for more stability, and not just a 1 year fix, Moore has 2 years of eligibility left as he'll be a Junior next year, the rankings change just a bit. He's 27th among point guards who will Juniors or younger in the upcoming season.

Moore was 3rd-Team All-CAA this past season.

A little scouting report based on what I could find:

He's Clutch: More hit multiple game winners with the clock winding down, including buzzer beaters against both Winthrop and College of Charleston.

He struggles shooting: Moore shot just 31.1% from 3 and just 38.6% from the field in general. To put that into context, the only players on our team last year who shot at least that poorly from the field were Greg Dolan, 37.5%, Patrick Mwamba, 34.6%, and Trey Lewis, 33.3%. He should help at the free throw line though, he hit 75.5% there

He's streaky: Like many players, especially those talented ones in the low majors, Moore has shown the ability to go off and carry a team, he's also shown he can disappear completely. Over Drexel's first 6 games this year, Moore averaged 16.7 on 47.6% from the field, while leading the Drexel defense with nearly 2 steals per game. Over the next 6 games he scored just 12.3 PPG on 39.4% from the field averaging less than 1 steal a game.

He's a willing passer: Moore likes to shoot the ball, he averaged just about 10 shots a game this past season basically the same number of shots as Philip Alston who was 2nd on our team this year. However, he also dished out at least 5 assists in 7 games this season. Drexel went 5-2 in games he dished out at least 5 assists, and one of those was a double OT loss in the CAA tournament.

Moore also performed against tougher competition this year. When faced with high mid-majors or Power 6 schools, he played 3 La Salle, West Virginia, and Villanova, he shined. In those 3 games Moore averaged 14 points per game on 42.5% shooting from the field, with 4.7 rebounds, 4.3 assists, and 2.3 steals per game.

Overall, Moore is a high ceiling player with a boat load of inconsistency. He's shown he can not only compete at a higher level, but shine. But he's also shown that he can be essentially an unplayable shooter for long stretches of game, sinking his team's offense. He's a good defender, though he definitely locks in more when he has it going offensively, and his passing was the key to Drexel wins.

Drew Valentine is going to get 2 years with him. If he can get the best out of him on a consistent basis, he could be as big an addition as anyone in the transfer portal could have been. If he can't then Moore probably ends up looking at lot like Greg Dolan did this past year. And if that's the case, hey we needed a bench guard anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:35 am 

Jersey City Bler wrote:

This is awesome!!! I was a fan of Drexel this year after watching them play some Big 5 tournament games (they beat Villanova, lost to La Salle and Temple).... Two years of eligibility, made a huge leap from his freshman year. Scored 20 or more points five times, including 34 against Bryant. On KenPom, the most statistically similar player compared to this season was Bradley's Walt Lemon as a junior in 2013.

The downside is he can be prone to turnovers, and his 3 pt shooting is only mediocre. He coughed up 6 TOs against West Virginia. Seems like he got better taking care of the ball as the year went on. He needs to either improve on threes or shoot fewer of them. Good free throw shooter at 75.3%.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 am 

sounds like a player who is still ascending

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:41 am 

My concern is the scoring ability, which we desperately need. Hoping Drew can work his magic again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:55 am 

I think he has demonstrated scoring ability but we need to see some consistency which i think we can develop.

I will also say i really like the 2 year xfer plan. Drew has talked about it before and we have seen it work with Sheldon, Phil, Des and now hopefully Justin. I like that we have an intentionality in the portal.

Also 6'3", going to have crazy size next year 1-3!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:26 am 

Glad to have him, but hope this doesn't mean we are out on Brickus. Moore strikes me as a backup/depth piece, but hey hopefully he proves me wrong.

Nice to have another bigger PG, should fit right in defensively, and seems like a great passer and pretty good ball-handler. But pretty bad shooting numbers, so definitely still have big concerns in replacing Braden.

I'm hopeful he (and JQ, for that matter) can get those percentages up like Des did, but even then we saw Des's form backslide badly at the end of the year -- I think when guys aren't naturally great shooters, and have to go to the shot doctor, they're more prone to fall into funky hitches, etc. that can cause shooting slumps. With Braden gone, Sheldon and JD are probably the only "natural" shooters on the current squad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next