It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transfer Portal
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:08 pm 

I think the NCAA lost all control several years ago and in an attempt to keep up with the times they decided that NIL was the way of the future. The issue lies in the fact that the NCAA isn’t capable of monitoring and regulating this and that the vision of an NIL world turned into an unregulated pay for play. NIL in and of itself is a great concept, I think that the student athletes deserve to be able to receive compensation for their “N-I-L” but we are seemingly in a time of pure lawlessness. I’m hopeful that this will change in the future, I’m just not sure when that will, or will not, happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:40 pm 

What's needed is a National Player Union. Dartmouth already voted to unionize. You think we have chaos now, wait if we had 300 plus separate unions representing schools.

The money these kids get could then be a product of collective bargaining to help all athletes across the Board and remove unfair advantages between big wealthy and smaller poorer schools. If players knew whatever they got paid was the same at every school, there would not be all this crazy portal jumping. You could also drive the direct influence of these donors and big corporations out of it. The NCCA could certainly negotiate additional funds in their TV and merchandise contracts to go to the athletes.

Of course, NCAA is short sighted and is always late to the party.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:24 am 

In a large sense college sports have gone from a school activity to a national business.,,,and tv was the catapult. You cannot ignore the money made . The Tournament itself pulled in a Billion dollars "The NCAA typically pulls in about $1 billion each year in revenue from media rights, merchandise licensing, ticket sales, and corporate sponsorships associated with the three-week tournament." ...and it is the players who generate it. But the current system is which is basically a bidding war of one year contracts is both unfair,messy and not fun. If money is going to be made the players deserve their share but there must be an equitable way to distribute so that it does not end up the richest wins. If competition is going to seem fair the system to build teams must seem equitable. The NCAA has an organization does not seem able to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:35 am 

well back to playing the game we have to play at the moment. we got some bigs to replace. I see where Brown forward Nana Owusu-Anane is entering the portal. Ivy League guy from Brown.
Brown forward Nana Owusu-Anane plans to enter the transfer portal, he tells @On3sports.The 6-8, 220-pound junior averaged 14.7 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.1 assists per game this season. Second team All-Ivy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am 

I wish Ben well. He was entertaining to watch.

I am all for players doing for what is best for themselves in their opinion. Student athletes have a limited window to play and they should have the right to change schools like any other student. We can argue about the advisability of a move, but as the parent of a student athlete who transferred and a traditional student who transferred - there are many benefits to transferring. It does not impact my Loyola fandom, but it does impact my appreciation of college basketball. To a certain extent, women's basketball is more intriguing because most of the women play four years.

The wild west situation is disheartening on many levels. It really falls on the NCAA. The legal decision should not have been a surprise. Ed O'Bannon filed suit in 2012 and the decision was rendered in 2021. It was always a possibility. It amazes me that the NCAA had not prepared for a scenario like this. It has hundreds of employees and years to plan. Pure malpractice on their part. Ultimately, I think the NCAA will be replaced by another organization. I don't think it can recover and the BIG 10 and the SEC will reform/replace it -for better or worse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:56 am 

Hey Mudville,
Check my post of March 11, on the Bryan Mullins thread. I made much the same point then, as you do now, regarding a players union leveling the playing field.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Hey Mudville,
Check my post of March 11, on the Bryan Mullins thread. I made much the same point then, as you do now, regarding a players union leveling the playing field.

Great minds think alike!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:26 pm 

Am I sick? I have to admit I am obsessed with the transfer portal! Lol.

My hope is we get a legit sized post scorer, not a 6'8" Ivy school post. Chris and Dame worked hard and gave us good minutes recently, but we need someone bigger down there.

I also think we squeezed a lot out of Clayton and Braden but I am hoping we can get a taller quicker point guard who can break down defenses and be bigger on defense with as much as we switch.

If course, we also need an athlete versatile wing to replace and play the Aher/Patrick role. Maybe with a touch more offense.

We have 3 slots now, maybe 4 depending on what Trey does.

Intriguing kids entering portal everyday.

It will be fun to see what happens. Transfer Portal = "Hot Stove League"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:13 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:26 pm 

Jersey City Bler wrote:

Interesting… with a freshman center that started all year for us, would think to get an older big it would have to be a combo/stretch guy that can play with Miles while also backing him up. Don’t know anything about this guy except he’s never taken a 3 in college

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next