It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Transfer Portal
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:43 am 

RAMBLOR wrote:
Glad to have him, but hope this doesn't mean we are out on Brickus. Moore strikes me as a backup/depth piece, but hey hopefully he proves me wrong.

Nice to have another bigger PG, should fit right in defensively, and seems like a great passer and pretty good ball-handler. But pretty bad shooting numbers, so definitely still have big concerns in replacing Braden.

I'm hopeful he (and JQ, for that matter) can get those percentages up like Des did, but even then we saw Des's form backslide badly at the end of the year -- I think when guys aren't naturally great shooters, and have to go to the shot doctor, they're more prone to fall into funky hitches, etc. that can cause shooting slumps. With Braden gone, Sheldon and JD are probably the only "natural" shooters on the current squad.

There are only so many slots. Say yes early, and you're in.

I was less worried about the PG spot than the PF spot(s). Amari Williams from Drexel is in the portal also, and the two would make a fantastic pair at Loyola.
Power forwards are getting swiped up in the portal more than any other position.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:17 am 

Saw post Lewis was in portal? Has this been confirmed? If so, we would still have 3 slots open. This kid seems athletic, taller for PG. Sounds like he's still a little rough around the edges. If we took him to relieve a little pressure while hunting a more experienced PG and if Lewis is gone, then great move as we still need post scorer, athletic wing, and another 3 pt shooter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 am 

I really don't think we need another wing given the freshmen we've got coming in who will probably be expecting some playing time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:23 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:34 pm 

He improved from freshman to sophomore year. Still getting better. He was considered good enough out of HS to play/start on P6. Could be a diamond. You know Texas Tech works and plays defense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm 

Yeah. I would really like this. Doesn’t fit the exact “plan” of what we need - (he’s not a true big and I assume he’s not a shooter). but he would be a 2 year guy ….and with Lewis leaving we have a spot we can take a flyer on. And I think this would be a good flyer. He has some size - and some bulk. Seems like a kid where a move down a conference level makes sense - which would work in our favor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:10 pm 

I have noticed a slight shift in our portal news since Moore committed. We are now being mentioned on being interested in the bigger wing players. This includes Jalen DeLoach from Georgia, 6'8" I believe. These guys all share similar profiles. Big, long, good defensively, guard multiple positions, and athletic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:35 am 

UC Irvine freshman Derin Saran has entered the Transfer Portal @On3sports has learned

The 6-4 guard averaged 10.1 points this season. Is originally from Turkey and prepped at Asheville (NC) Asheville School.
If the adage about close to home rings true for this one Davidson and Richmond and Virginia Tech would be close to high school home.
reports having heard from Loyola as well as Northwestern and
Vanderbilt
Stanford
Washington State
Saint Louis
Virginia Tech
Cal
Washington
Davidson
Richmond
Georgia Southern…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:52 am 

Interesting tidbit. Edey was complaining that he was restricted in how much he could earn in NIL. It appears foreign players are restricted. As pf January of this year, these restrictions were stilll in place. See the article here =====> https://theworld.org/stories/2024/01/17/international-students-still-restricted-nil-deals. I wonder if this has anything to do with the increase in recruiting foreign players who are in the Country via VISAs. I am pretty sure this will change, but at least for a little while the Mid-Majors could compete for these players and not have it only about the money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:29 pm 

Queens transfer guard Deyton Albury (@deyton242) will be visiting Utah State this weekend, a source tells me.

Albury has already visited Loyola Chicago. He averaged 17.0 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game this past season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next