It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Norris and Welch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 am 

Given that next Saturday is their last game at Gentile, I hope especially Norris and Welch receive great send offs. I recall the conversations at the end of last year about whether they will or should come back. With the career they’ve had here, and the way last year ended, I was 100% in on them coming back if they wanted to, if just to try and not let a season like last year be the way they left the program. I think it’s safe to say they will now be going out on a much better note, and I couldn’t be happier for them.

Post subject: Re: Norris and Welch
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 am 

I got the day off from work specifically for Senior Day. (Yes, I work on most Saturdays).

As an extra added bonus, our game is the last starting time for the A-10 regular season which concludes on that day, so upon the completion of our game we will know what seeding we have for the A-10 Tournament (and on the outside chance, whether we're the regular season champ).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:05 pm 

These 2 young men have meant so much to the success of our team.
Braden - High BB IQ, controlled PG and sets up the plays well. His 3 ball is very much accomplished.
Tom - If a lesser conf than the A10, he would be starting. When close-in he often gets his 2s. Remember his high 2 percentage last season. His glue work as a ready back up and always talking things up on the bench and keeping the guys on the bench in good spirits goes a real long way. Drew has even commented on this.

Without a doubt two players who will be missed.

One last tidbit on Braden.
Don't be surprised to see him settling in to the coaching world down the road

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:22 pm 

Hoping for another sellout next week. The seniors deserve it. Braden and Tom have meant so much to this program over the past few years. Phil carried the team last year and has been awesome this year down the stretch. Dame, Patrick and Greg came in this year and helped propel us to the top of the A10.

I'll be there paying my respects to this class.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:29 am 

Deserve a looooong looooooud standing ovation.
Forget the skill level of both players....but just the effort and leadership both have exhibited.
The number of times Norris found himself in the low post having to battle the teams post due to switches in the defense and he just battled those guys...epic....or when he developed that little turn around fade away in the lane to score when he got inside....or the super quick release on his 3 pt shot and the # of times he made that in clutch situations..or times he led the team in assists and geez how many times did the smallest guy on the court come home with 5,6 rebounds...total effort ALL the time.
Tom Welch most likely could have been a center piece and a 30 minute a game man at a lot of places and he stuck at LU to be a key component as TEAM member...
Been fun and now they can both say that they helped carry the mantle from the Final Four team to the present....They survived last year and just kept on truckin' and got us back on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:42 am 

last remnants of the Final Four

Norris really is irreplaceable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:57 pm 

Saturday is nearly sold out. Outstanding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm 

For the heck of it, went on the LU ticket page. There are only about 18-20 tickets left for Senior Day game Saturday. The place is gonna be packed and it should be a rowdy atmosphere for sure! Get there early as they usually honor the seniors pre-game!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:10 pm 

AMDG wrote:
last remnants of the Final Four

Norris really is irreplaceable.

Norris was a high school senior, Welch a junior.

I believe the announcers have mentioned this on some broadcasts. I get that Norris has been around a long time, but he wasn't even at Oakland yet during the Final Four run.