It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:34 am 

Who all plans on going..... now?

With the recent winning and my total belief in this team that it could win the whole entire thing, I've been kicking around the tires some on maybe,,,, just maybe,,,, possibly making the long commute to Barclays........ but with a $500+ flight and $300/night hotel I can think of thousands of other vacations to also go on.

I think we had it so good (too good) and convenient with the MVC. Quick 4-5 hr ride every first weekend in March to STL, and to do it in a city where the dollar carries lots more value compared to Brooklyn NY. As a community we also draw well when the game is within reasonable travel distance too. This place now, I worry few will show in a few weeks.

Looking at all the former A-10 tournament sites, they rotated frequently between numerous cities in the past. I'd like that a lot which can make things interesting - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... tournament

Been conversing with a few others on this topic over the winter. It would seem to make the most sense, from a location and logistical standpoint, and to better fill the place, to perhaps better centrally locate the tournament to a neutral site in PA or maybe Ohio (Columbus or Pitt) on an annual basis? A location and venue many people from all over and all member schools could also be able to drive to. Columbus for example is an outstanding little sports town, with Value City Arena and Nationwide Arena there. Nationwide is an awesome hockey venue with lots of bars and social gathering places too (went to many Hawks / Jackets games in the past). We all have familiarity with PPG arena in Pitt too.

So my question to Commissioner Bernadette would be - What's the allure with Barclays Center and Brooklyn NY? Does not seem like a very accessible location, and place that doesn't draw well (judging by TV)

DC looks great for next year, an easier trip, and maybe for the better attendance too. Wonder what other tournament sites for the future are in consideration too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:18 am 

well winning several minor sports conference Championships......x-country, golf, competitive in softball and now competing for the title in men's basketball we would seem to certainly have more leverage.
When I look at the A-10 i see 3 geographic areas.. the New York area...Rhode Island, U Mass, Fordham,St. Bonnies.

Then you have the D.C. /Virginia are...GM, GW, VCU, Richmond, Davidson.

You have the West..St. Louis, Dayton, Duquesne and Loyola

The Philly schools could be either Virginia, New York or their own area.

St. Bonnies could be thrown to the West.

So if you rotated and considered Philly their own spot...New York, DC, Philly and Columbus, Cleveland, Indianapolis as possible West sites...then at least 3 of the 4 years you avoid the huge costs of NYC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:41 am 

aim big...have it in chicago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:05 pm 

Barclays is the best NBA arena I've been in, and New York is a great place to visit, especially as the Big East tourney is going on at MSG at the same time.

I hope they keep it there. Count me out on ever going to Ohio. It would be cool to get Chicago in the rotation, if they continue to rotate the sites.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm 

Next year it's back in DC, which is super easy to get to by plane and train.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:24 pm 

The A-10 Tournament has typically sited its tournament in just a few cities. Philadelphia, Atlantic City, NYC, and Pittsburgh (once had members Pitt/WVU/DUQ) have hosted the most tournaments. Washington DC has hosted two recent tourneys. All of these sites have been located near multiple member schools. Dayton and Cincinnati each had two. Their selections were not the norm and only made as Dayton and Xavier had some of the largest fanbases in the league and minimum event revenues were guaranteed by organizers.

For a few years the league championship was played at the top seed and not the tournament site where the early rounds were played.

While Loyola fans may desire the tournament in Chicago, I highly doubt it will happen. The city is far from nearly all members and the Ramblers that make their home in Chicago do not have a particularly large fanbase that would singularly drive attendance.

UMass and URI are among the longest tenured A-10 members each having been in the league for over 40 years. In all that time since its inception, the A-10 has never had the tournament in New England.

A-10 membership and influence has been steadily moving south over the last decade. This makes the likelihood of future tournaments in the DMV (District/Maryland/Virgina) area a good bet.