It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Projected for CBI
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:02 am 

"Probably CBI Bound: Duquesne, South Florida, UAB, Southern Illinois, Santa Clara, Liberty, UCLA, Loyola Chicago, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph's"

Do the Ramblers accept a bid to Daytona Beach, FL and the CBI?

https://www.nitbracketology.com/

https://collegebasketballinvitational.com/

NIT bids are a lot harder to get at the mid major level than most people think. So is likely beating likely two of these three teams in 24 hours (Dayton, VCU, Richmond.)

Post subject: Re: Projected for CBI
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:42 am 

I would decline a CBI bid. The field almost certainly won't include teams like UCLA or four A10 teams. I don't think there's anything to gain for this program in a postseason tourney like the CBI. Should be NCAA tourney, NIT or nothing.

And with the BS rule change that regular season conference champs no longer receive an auto NIT bid, I suspect the NIT will include more lower tier P6 schools and fewer successful mid major teams.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:56 am 

Not many A-10 teams have accepted CBI Tournament invitations in recent years. Duquesne participated in 2023 but other 20 or more win A-10 teams such as St Louis, George Mason, and Fordham declined (Dayton declined the NIT). No A-10 teams were in the 2022 CBI field. The CBI is a pay to play tournament as the basic entrance fee is $27,500.

Last edited by Oceaneer on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:01 am 

Right now saying we'd be in the CBI does sound disappointing, but I won't lie... a trip to Daytona Beach for 4 days doesn't sound awful...

The whole CBI has been played at a single site since COVID. This will be the 4th year of that setup. Quarters, Semis and Finals on standalone days (Mon/Tue/Wed) without NCAA Tourney competition.

2017 was the last time the A-10 had teams (other than 2023 w/ Duquesne) -- both Mason and GW played in it.

Of course we know what happened in 2015.

ESPN+/NBC Sports Chicago PXP
https://loyolaramblers.com/watch
http://www.soundcloud.com/ramblersn

Last edited by sudikoff on Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:05 am 

CBI games are all at a neutral site in Florida now. No home games. But I agree, Loyola declines it. The new NIT rule is horrible. Say we finish #1 in the regular season, it would be nice to go to NY knowing you will be in a post season tournament. Now its really win in NY or be done (unless you win every game until March 17---then Loyola could have a chance)

The NIT Final Four and Championship is a Hinkle now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:21 pm 

I would not count us out of the NIT if we don't win A10 tourney. If we win regular season Championship and say made it to the conference final, we would be attractive to the NIT. We are in a big market city, which means ratings and exposure, Sister Jean, a young upcoming Coach, and we are in the A10, an east coast dominated conference. I agree, I would pass on the CBI. We need to act like a big time program and with our recent success since Final Four, its a bad look. With that said...the only reason to go would be get Quinn, Dawson, Dez, Sheldon and returning players more experience together in a tournament setting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:38 pm 

IMHO, there are pros and cons to the CBI, but I think if we continue and take 1st place we pass on the CBI.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:00 pm 

I am holding out for more, but if we had an invite I think we should go. It means extra practice, extra exposure and the potential to go out as winner. All positives in my book. Only three teams will win a tournament at the end of the year. I would like to be one of them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:53 am 

I don't know if extra practice is meaningful at this point, especially with losing six seniors at the end.

I think the exposure is important for the school and 27K seems like a small price to get the university name in more mouths from different markets.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:21 pm 

Don’t you have to pay to be in the CBI, despite being invited?

I’d decline, but this team still has an immense amount to play for to get into March.