It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:07 pm 

RAMBLOR wrote:
sudikoff wrote:
Yes. The students are literally right behind the announcers. It’s the tightest squeeze of almost any arena I’ve ever broadcasted in. The commentator mics pick up the noise.

I have zero clue what a “gate” is when it comes to a headset mic and I’ve been broadcasting for over 15 years lol.

National networks usually tape microphones down to the floor facing the court and on the baskets etc so those aren’t for crowd noise. If anything they just have slightly more expensive headset mics that filter out the noise better.

If you listen to our radio broadcast from last night, it’s just my mic and CT’s mic and you hear the crowd loud and clear. And we use top of the line Sennheiser headsets which have been the industry standard for a while.

A gate just means no signal under a certain volume threshold gets passed -- so once the commentator stops talking, nothing comes through that mic. It might not be used in sports broadcasting typically, but to solve LUC's particular problem, might be an option? Of course, then it would sound weird to have no ambient/crowd noise coming through, hence the idea for the dedicated mic for that.

The national broadcasts' mics pointed at the floor makes sense, but no doubt they are picking up plenty of crowd noise in the process -- we can all hear the night and day differences in the broadcasts. They function as the ambient mics generally, right? I'm proposing LUC emulate that to some degree to solve their particular problem that people are complaining about -- I haven't noticed it happening on national broadcasts.

I eagerly await the donation ;)

Edit to add: But in all seriousness, with the new A10 TV deal announced a few weeks ago, there appears to be a carve out for school productions. Hard to know for sure, but it could be a cash infusion dedicated for in-house productions to use.

So while it might be tough to get a fix this season (only 2 of the final 5 home games are in-house productions), it could be something for next year that can get fixed.

While I have you all, tune in tonight for the women’s game vs. St. Joe’s!

ESPN+/NBC Sports Chicago PXP
https://loyolaramblers.com/watch
http://www.soundcloud.com/ramblersn

Last edited by sudikoff on Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:12 pm 

m52 wrote:
JCT wrote:
Some annoying screamers behind the commentators is better than a nothing atmosphere where opponents have an even chance. The way to "fix" this is by having an elite team of rooters or having a preferred place behind the communications area. Cut that area off, and have knowledgeable, responsible fans (Pack leaders) behind the commentators. The Pack needs to better understand what rooting has better effects....

Agreed. This does not seem to be an issue at other schools with small arenas. But since it seems unlikely the student section will be moved anytime soon, it seems that the AD surely can look into some technical fixes, perhaps assisted by Loyola's Communications School.

There’s nowhere to move the students. They are mandated to be on that side of the floor.

And again I’m willing to bet that not many other arenas have students sitting that close behind announcers. Even in the smaller arenas. Fordham students sat behind the hoop for instance. It is a very tight squeeze at Gentile. Duke is probably the only tighter squeeze I’ve been to. But in that case broadcasters aren’t courtside anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:16 pm 

I am glad to hear the crowd and the cheering (and occasional jeer). However, there is one or two students who screech and that sounds awful on TV. I'm not sure what it sounds like in person, but on TV it is the equivalent of scratching on a chalkboard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:23 pm 

Rambler88 wrote:
I am glad to hear the crowd and the cheering (and occasional jeer). However, there is one or two students who screech and that sounds awful on TV. I'm not sure what it sounds like in person, but on TV it is the equivalent of scratching on a chalkboard.

This is literally what we’ve be talking about all day lol (and it was a thing in Twitter for SLU fans).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:10 pm 

Great to get a win and I just loved the crowd and how the crowd was going the entire night. Need it again on Sunday. Noon time start. I hope not too early for the students! Attendance at 3488, I guess that is the actual body count at the gate? Let’s now have that as the low attendance marker for the remainder of the home schedule. It is very doable.

Loved the 84% FT percentage last night. Let's keep 67% in our rear view mirror where it belongs!

Good to see Sheldon get some playing time.

Liking Dolan more and more. A stable competitor and productive.

Something about JQ. I think he may be most promising for us when he just finds a lane and lays it up when there is no clear and safe passing situation. He has that size, speed and athleticism.

Rough night for Phil under the rim and the ball not dropping in for him as it normally would, not sure why?

Another night with Rambler fouls but, hey, we pulled out a win.

Enjoying this one and looking for a big W this Sunday!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:24 am 

It wasn't the "crowd noise" as much as it was that ONE GIRL. The crowd noise is fine other than her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:08 am 

96Rambler wrote:
It wasn't the "crowd noise" as much as it was that ONE GIRL. The crowd noise is fine other than her.

It's more than one, they just take turns, shriek in shifts, lol.

I can confirm, it is known issue by people who matter at the school...and we'll see if any solution is found for Sunday (even though its CBS-SN.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:45 pm 

kato669 wrote:
Great game last night, lots of crowd energy. Love it when the students are back and packed in the house. (jealous of the student t-shirts they wore last night, very cool)

I don't know why the refs throw hate on us. We are a rambunctious crowd but that foul on Welch with the SLU player running straight into his screen was terrible. He was set and the guy just ran into him and flopped imho. Lots of other questionable calls too. The Coach Drew T I agree was turning point the got the team going.

Enjoying the despair on the SLU fan boards, sounds like us last year but Coach Drew doesn't get paid in the stratosphere that Ford makes so kinda sad but funny. https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31901-gdt-slu-vs-loyola-chicago/

Message Board from SLU..
For this SLU @ LUC game, someone mentioned that Larry Bird was in attendance. I didn't see him there. If he was, where was he sitting and why was he there? No connection to Loyola, any to SLU?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:51 pm 

In SLU parlance Larry Legend refers to Larry Hughes the former NBA player whose son plays for the Billikens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:02 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
In SLU parlance Larry Legend refers to Larry Hughes the former NBA player whose son plays for the Billikens.

Oh, that would definitely explain it