It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:08 am 

I’d like to point 16 turnovers but the last one was on purpose running out the clock. And 3 of them were on offensive fouls/illegal screens. Another was on a shot clock violation.

So just looking for the positive…that’s 11 live ball turnovers (actually probably a few less than that with a pass out bounds here or there. I know there was at least one.)

If you’re gonna turn it over, make them dead ball turnovers. :)

ESPN+/NBC Sports Chicago PXP
https://loyolaramblers.com/watch
http://www.soundcloud.com/ramblersn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:36 am 

Some annoying screamers behind the commentators is better than a nothing atmosphere where opponents have an even chance. The way to "fix" this is by having an elite team of rooters or having a preferred place behind the communications area. Cut that area off, and have knowledgeable, responsible fans (Pack leaders) behind the commentators. The Pack needs to better understand what rooting has better effects....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:40 am 

Solid game. Should have beaten train wreck SLU by 20+. Drew indeed coached his butt off, and the turning point was his technical and Sheldon’s 3 to spark the mini run - Barstool Blers on twitter picked up his stare down on entire SLU’s bench. LOL

Any idea or sighting’s of SLU’s biggest benefactors, the Chaifetz clan being in attendance? I didn’t appreciate their comments after last year’s visit to our house about our team and facilities. Their team and investment truly stinks right now.

Phil needs to get his game together.

Quinn quietly had a nice game. Appreciated Dolan as well.

Cannot ask for much more. We are contenders. Avoiding bad luck or catastrophe, I think a .700% finish can be realistic here until the end……

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:58 am 

Just finished watching the replay. Agree with a lot of what Mudville said... the officiating got behind the energy, which was a bad thing. They never caught up until 2/3 through the game, and thankfully it didn't

Here's the crazy thing... Loyola is 6-2 in the A-10 right now, with some great wins (3-1 on the road). But it always 'feels" like we're not playing well. Part of that is really good defense that's in the top three of the league. We get points from steals, we defend well on long possessions, and we are FANTASTIC at defending the two point shot.

I just love the group we have right now. Miles is incredibly talented and is learning. Des Watson is a warrior, and seems to be really happy with the group he's playing with. Phil Alston is a strongman who can assert himself when needed. Dawson reminds me of Williamson. Adelekun is a wise man on the court.

It looked like it was teetering off the edge at one point for Coach Valentine, but he and his team regained control and turned the tables.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:28 am 

workmanlike effort

Looking ahead, the back to back road games in DC against the Georges concern me, especially the second at GW. I hope they are scheduled to stay in DC rather than going back and forth twice (even though the flight is an easy 1.5 hours). Give the kids some time to explore the sights and use the days as educational enrichment opportunities. Go to Ben's Chili Bowl. Other than those games, I think they are poised for a run until they face Dayton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:56 am 

I think it would be lame to tell the kids they have to move because they're too enthusiastic. That's a non-starter for me.

Scott, when you say there is no mic to move, does that mean it's getting picked up off-axis from the commentators' mics? The national crews obviously have separate crowd mics, so we know it can be done. I'm not blaming Loyola's in-house crew for not having a setup as nice as the national crew, but the audio engineering is generally abysmal -- trying to watch those ESPN+ games where the commercials are like 30 db louder than the game are pure torture.

Before we start yelling at students, there has to be some AV solution. You could snake one ambient mic at a "crowd" distance of the student section so it's not picking up one or two students more than others. There's your crowd noise. Put gates on the commentator mics so they stay off when they're not talking -- seems like that may solve your issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 am 

Yes. The students are literally right behind the announcers. It’s the tightest squeeze of almost any arena I’ve ever broadcasted in. The commentator mics pick up the noise.

I have zero clue what a “gate” is when it comes to a headset mic and I’ve been broadcasting for over 15 years lol.

National networks usually tape microphones down to the floor facing the court and on the baskets etc so those aren’t for crowd noise. If anything they just have slightly more expensive headset mics that filter out the noise better.

If you listen to our radio broadcast from last night, it’s just my mic and CT’s mic and you hear the crowd loud and clear. And we use top of the line Sennheiser headsets which have been the industry standard for a while.

ESPN+/NBC Sports Chicago PXP
https://loyolaramblers.com/watch
http://www.soundcloud.com/ramblersn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:19 am 

Great game last night, lots of crowd energy. Love it when the students are back and packed in the house. (jealous of the student t-shirts they wore last night, very cool)

I don't know why the refs throw hate on us. We are a rambunctious crowd but that foul on Welch with the SLU player running straight into his screen was terrible. He was set and the guy just ran into him and flopped imho. Lots of other questionable calls too. The Coach Drew T I agree was turning point the got the team going.

Enjoying the despair on the SLU fan boards, sounds like us last year but Coach Drew doesn't get paid in the stratosphere that Ford makes so kinda sad but funny. https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31901-gdt-slu-vs-loyola-chicago/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:19 pm 

sudikoff wrote:
Yes. The students are literally right behind the announcers. It’s the tightest squeeze of almost any arena I’ve ever broadcasted in. The commentator mics pick up the noise.

I have zero clue what a “gate” is when it comes to a headset mic and I’ve been broadcasting for over 15 years lol.

National networks usually tape microphones down to the floor facing the court and on the baskets etc so those aren’t for crowd noise. If anything they just have slightly more expensive headset mics that filter out the noise better.

If you listen to our radio broadcast from last night, it’s just my mic and CT’s mic and you hear the crowd loud and clear. And we use top of the line Sennheiser headsets which have been the industry standard for a while.

A gate just means no signal under a certain volume threshold gets passed -- so once the commentator stops talking, nothing comes through that mic. It might not be used in sports broadcasting typically, but to solve LUC's particular problem, might be an option? Of course, then it would sound weird to have no ambient/crowd noise coming through, hence the idea for the dedicated mic for that.

The national broadcasts' mics pointed at the floor makes sense, but no doubt they are picking up plenty of crowd noise in the process -- we can all hear the night and day differences in the broadcasts. They function as the ambient mics generally, right? I'm proposing LUC emulate that to some degree to solve their particular problem that people are complaining about -- I haven't noticed it happening on national broadcasts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm 

JCT wrote:
Some annoying screamers behind the commentators is better than a nothing atmosphere where opponents have an even chance. The way to "fix" this is by having an elite team of rooters or having a preferred place behind the communications area. Cut that area off, and have knowledgeable, responsible fans (Pack leaders) behind the commentators. The Pack needs to better understand what rooting has better effects....

Agreed. This does not seem to be an issue at other schools with small arenas. But since it seems unlikely the student section will be moved anytime soon, it seems that the AD surely can look into some technical fixes, perhaps assisted by Loyola's Communications School.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next