It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 am 

classof63 wrote:
Looking at the film, I may be wrong about Cohen not being in the game at the end.

Yes, I believe he was one of the three UMass players who fouled Phil!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:23 am 

MADNESS !!!

We've seen a complete turnaround and improvement in most aspects since the horrid South Florida loss. Those losses had to have been the teaching moments that were much needed and now here they are, much improved. This has been a great month. I want to keep harping this should be a 16-2 team right now LOL

Why is it that every time we build an 8-12 point lead in the first half of the past few games, the refs intervene and shift the momentum of the game? Happened in Richmond game and happened again last night with the Ted show after we were ahead +12. Ted Valentine is the Joe West of NCAA officials. At least UMASS got gifted with a few more whistles.

Cohen was outstanding. Hard to believe he came from somewhere in the NEC.

Be awesome if the staff can pull some strings to get Phil a 5th year..... If not, we should have confidence in Drew's recruiting wizardry that the next gem with multiple yrs eligibility gets found from a league from somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:39 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
What a way to end the game! Phil basically said "I'm winning this game and no one is stopping me." He's a monster out there, so physical, talented and relentless. Funny that the thing that kept UMass in the game (second and third chance points) ended up being the thing that won us the game (Phil's second and third chance).

4-1 in conference after 4-14 last year. Just a phenomenal job by Drew and staff. This team has its flaws. But they are athletic, fun and never give up. They have really rounded into a strong team and easy and fun to root for.

Also, props to Dolan! Provided a much needed spark today (and his first points of conference play...which is wild).

Oh, and Drew elected not to use a timeout at the end of game sequence again. This time, it worked! He trusts his guys and that says a lot. I trust Drew.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:47 am 

I know it's not entirely important since we will not be an at-large team, but it is frustrating that last night's win resulted in no movement in our NET ranking. We sit at #123, behind Dayton (#19 at 14-2), Bonnie's (#71 at 11-5), Joe's (#80 at 11-6), Richmond (#81 at 12-5), George Mason (#84 at 12-5), UMass (#92 at 11-6), VCU (#98 at 10-7) and Duquesne (#101 at 8-7). Just shows that it is a flawed system. Three teams ahead of us that we recently beat, all three of which we have a better record than. Guess we aren't winning games by enough points for the computers to like us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:05 am 

Quote:
This team has its flaws. But they are athletic, fun and never give up. They have really rounded into a strong team and easy and fun to root for. .

ag1ree no matter how the rest of the season goes this group plays hard and are entertaining.
Interested by the defensive tactics that UMASS used that caused us some issues. These days almost everyone plays some version of man to man..UMASS used a full court zone designed not so much to get turnovers but to get us in tough situations on offense. Looked like a 1-1-3 set up forcing the ball up the side and making us start our offense from the wing rather than from the top and use the center pick...it also ran off 8-10 seconds off the shot clock and sometimes down to 14 or 15 seconds b4 we got into our offense. They then dropped into a 1-2-2 zone which we attacked pretty successfully but in the 2nd half when we got to the double bonus with almost 10 minutes left they went to a funky 1-3-1 zone taking the center away from us and we went 3 minutes w/o scoring. Just interesting, veteran coach, and we still got them. Gutsy win....
Also we all love the Miles Rubin blocks but when he leaves his man to go block someone elses shot he takes himself out of position as a rebounder. Still more a plus than a minus but it will occasionally allow the other team the offensive rebound. My guess is he will get better at picking his spots...which kind of seems what the whole team is doing, getting better at doing what works and abandoning the things that dont. Which is the best thing about this season, we are performing better and still have room to get bettter.
Thanks Scott for getting those coach interviews in and the stats as well. good stuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:39 pm 

Good win. My guess is our net is not moving because this win was close, at home, and we have a bunch of boat anchor losses hanging around our neck from the non con. Doesn’t matter for us but I do think it makes life hard for the conference. So be it.

I don’t think anyone would have picked us to go 4-5 at the beginning of the conference season even before the season as a whole started. I’m very impressed that we’re playing as well as we are after some of the bad losses this year and last year as a whole. I think it speaks to Drew’s strengths and the players character that they didn’t give up on the year. It’s fun to be excited to turn the game on again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm 

Really good win for LUC, I just watched the replay and much of what is said above is spot on, the team is moving in the right direction. They had stretches when they dribbled less, passed more, and hit the open man, and looked great. Then get into trouble when they play too much one one-on-one and don’t move the ball. I am optimistic, which I was not in December.