It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:29 pm 

Looks like starting lineup and rotations are set, and they make sense. Basically, our high-upside guys are starting, and we've got four grad students and JQ as the steady second-unit. JQ generally didn't try to do too much, and that's working for him in his current role. Whatever Des did in the offseason to fix his 3-point shot, maybe he can teach it to JQ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
I felt like a real boomer listening to the radio broadcast while watching on TV. Miles Rubin blocking that shot at the end and then tipping in back in play to Loyola was so impressive. I can't remember ever having a shot blocking presence like this in my decade of being a fan. I hope we get four years of him.

There hasn't been anyone better than him in Loyola history. He's on pace to set the program record for blocks in a year, and could finish this season in the top 10 in career blocks. He's already at 34 blocks on the year and the single season record is 66. Last time someone had more than 34 blocks on the year, was Ben Averkamp in the 2010-11 season (49). Krutwig had 34 twice: 18-19 and 20-21, but Miles has done it in less than half a season. I think he needs 72 blocks to tie for 10th in Loyola career blocks. With 31 regular season games and right now averaging 2.43 blocks/game, he would end the season at ~75 blocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:34 pm 

A few weeks ago, I was worried about the team looking rusty after the break, but it appears that Coach Valentine and his staff used the time after the Charleston Southern game to get things in order. You can not deny these last two games showed a great deal of improvement. Every aspect of the team looked improved from the team's intensity, avoiding unforced turnovers, offensive game plans, defense, substitutions, etc. Most impressive. We still have room for improvement, but we are improving.