It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:14 pm 

There's plenty of scumbags in college bball coaching. Porter isn't one of them.

If you're gonna roast him for leaving for double the money... I don't think you're going to find a coach in the country that meets your "moral" standards. And to put a finer point on it, you would turn down a 100% raise?

The guy basically built the program back from dirt and stuck around after the Cinderella run -- that was huge, left us in a great position. 9/10 times, a guy goes on a flukey tourney run and cashes out immediately -- take a look at all the cinderella teams from the past few years and see how they're doing now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:49 pm 

nobody's casting moral judgement on the man and nobody is saying he shouldn't do whatever he deems best for his family...but he isn't on my team anymore so you better believe I'm going to poke fun at #AllIn cuz like obviously he wasn't and that's objectively funny. To write a book titled ALL IN and then bolt within 12 months is comical and should be fair game for jokes it reeks of used car salesman, say whatever sells and then act however it suits your needs best down the line. Nobody forced the man to write the book or to release the "don't run from happiness" letter, these are things he did and things he should rightfully get made fun of for. To act like we cant have some fun at his expense over it all or that we owe him some sort of deference because he's a "one of us" since he's a Cubs fan is silliness of the highest order.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:20 am 

RAMBLOR wrote:
Ohio Rambler wrote:
RAMBLOR wrote:
The new rule is that two-time transfers have to sit a year. So it makes sense to go after the first-time underclassmen transfers, as they're about as locked in as possible.

I am guessing this came out before your post but this will only increase the transfer portal--

"Judge John P. Bailey granted a 14-day temporary restraining order during a hearing in West Virginia district court Wednesday, giving college athletes who have transferred more than once immediate eligibility at least for the next two weeks and potentially charting a course for more lawsuits from transfers seeking eligibility."

On top of that the NCAA is floating a proposal to create a new division in college athletics. In short, schools that opt-in would have to put 30K per year for at least 50% of their athletes. Realistically, this will only apply to P4 schools, in addition, NIL would be run by the institution, not collectives. Not good news for mid-majors.

Read up on this a bit -- people are saying this could allow transfers between semesters? So we could see guys transferring after OOC and able to play conference games for the new teams, and under this ruling the NCAA can't do anything about it?

I find it hard to believe this would stand on appeal. The NCAA as an organization has to be able to enact rules and regulations in order to operate without chaos. If they allow one free transfer and then you have to sit out a year on 2nd transfer that is fair. This ruling could potentially kill college basketball. I have not read the opinion, but I would like to see how a Judge feels he has the authority to do this. In effect, he’s telling a business how to operate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 am 

I am guessing this came out before your post but this will only increase the transfer portal--

"Judge John P. Bailey granted a 14-day temporary restraining order during a hearing in West Virginia district court Wednesday, giving college athletes who have transferred more than once immediate eligibility at least for the next two weeks and potentially charting a course for more lawsuits from transfers seeking eligibility."

On top of that the NCAA is floating a proposal to create a new division in college athletics. In short, schools that opt-in would have to put 30K per year for at least 50% of their athletes. Realistically, this will only apply to P4 schools, in addition, NIL would be run by the institution, not collectives. Not good news for mid-majors.[/quote]

Read up on this a bit -- people are saying this could allow transfers between semesters? So we could see guys transferring after OOC and able to play conference games for the new teams, and under this ruling the NCAA can't do anything about it?[/quote]

I find it hard to believe this would stand on appeal. The NCAA as an organization has to be able to enact rules and regulations in order to operate without chaos. If they allow one free transfer and then you have to sit out a year on 2nd transfer that is fair. This ruling could potentially kill college basketball. I have not read the opinion, but I would like to see how a Judge feels he has the authority to do this. In effect, he’s telling a business how to operate.[/quote]

In reading some articles, seems the issue was the granting or denying of waivers for eligibility to compete after second transfer. The injunction has been extended through the end of the winter and spring season of 2024.

NCAA should track the movement and if anyone leaves mid-season. Use any chaos or harm to any programs that lose players mid-stream and use it as evidence for when the injunction ends or comes up for review. If I was the NCAA, I would rewrite the rules and just have a blanket denial, no waivers at all. Takes the arbitrary argument out. Present the evidence of harm to member institutions and their athletic programs to justify it. The harm maybe drop off in winning, missing the NCAA tournament which costs schools money, loss of prestige, enrollment numbers (remember, after the Final 4, LU’s attendance jumped). You could craft a pretty strong argument why the rules are needed. No in season transfers should be allowed whether it’s the first or second transfer. The only exception for second transfer should be if a Coach leave for another job.

Should this not work, the NCAA should require any school that accepts an in season portal transfer who plays in that season to pay the school losing the player money. Set it as a high cost, say a million dollars. P5 football programs might be able to pay it, might be tougher in basketball. This would give Mid-Majors, many who don’t have big athletic budgets a chance to compete a little.

I know some crazy thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:59 am 

01grad wrote:
OU, a football school with enormous financial resources, was and still is the perfect spot for Porter that isn’t named Loyola. Lon Kruger survived and financially thrived for years off of seasons exactly like they’re having this year: top 25 team that flirts with the top 10. Barring a collapse the next two months; I can’t see him leaving. As much as Depaul might offer, OU can match or exceed if they want to. They’re also moving to one of the only two actual “power conferences” that will exist next year. The Big 12 will still be a good basketball league, but football rules the college world and the Big10 and SEC will control that world. OU basketball will benefit from the resources, but not be the pressure cooker that even Depaul might be coming home to huge expectations.

Bump.

https://x.com/on3sports/status/1753472346969588187?s=46&t=0FqKYpeLcLDslwNVdR0ktg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:56 pm 

Porter seems pretty emphatic here in shooting down any rumors:

https://x.com/mckinnisbryce/status/1757125115823767637?s=46&t=0FqKYpeLcLDslwNVdR0ktg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:01 am 

I wont believe him shooting down the rumors until he's on the sideline in Norman next season, such is the nature of CBB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:57 am 

He looks very uncomfortable......

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:43 pm 

Oklahoma has fallen off…… Moving the discussion back to here to not interfere with our prized recruits.

In support of Oklahoma falling off…….

Oklahoma has absolutely gone downhill in terms of roster talent and quality wins. Between Kelvin Sampson, Jeff Capel, and Lon Kruger from 1995-2015 they were averaging 22-28 wins per year and were also a perennial no questions about it top 10. They had some damn great years that also included 2 final fours and 2 elite 8s in those 20 years. 2 elite, HOF coaches that few could even compare to.

And now? They can’t beat any top-25 teams, basketball there is an afterthought, and they play in a mostly empty arena. We should expect them to feast on Vanderbilt and compete with the middle of the pack schools, but will absolutely have zero chance competing and out-recruiting TN, UK, FL, AL, Auburn, Ark. I see no way of them doing this without acquiring generational talents or NBA caliber ones like they had good luck with during the Sampson/Kruger eras. Most years, and unless there is a power shift in the SEC which probably won’t happen anytime soon, they will likely be a 6-9th place team just like they are currently in Big12.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 am 

Rags - not sure why the hate on OU. All I can say is Final 4 for Loyola. 6 NCAA wins under PM. And he left a squad intact for Drew.

OU - should make the tourney, Big 12 is a gauntlet and LU is atop the A-10. Seems like all is well for both schools.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next