It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm 

jmiller2794 wrote:
RamblinTank22 wrote:
To me, it doesn't matter how good your conference is.

Then why did we leave for the A10?

Not my best phrasing. I'm specifically saying if you have a losing conference record I don't care what conference it's in, you don't belong in the tournament. Part of the argument for Texas getting in with a losing record in the Big 12 is that the Big 12 is the best conference. Shouldn't matter that the Big 12 is the best. Texas had their chance to show they can compete with the best and failed.

Strong conferences should get more teams in. Generally, the A10 should get more teams in than the Valley. P6 should get more in than the MEAC or Patriot League. There should just be more rewards for winning versus being meh in a good conference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:18 am 

There's quite a few rumors floating around online by trusted accounts that Porter will be named HC of DePaul after OU's season ends. Supposedly, the Mosers are unhappy in Oklahoma. Pretty annoying that every poster on here pointed out that a born-and-raised Chicagoland guy wouldn't be happy in Norman, Oklahoma. And here we are.

I support him and cheer for him as the OU coach. If he goes to DePaul, he's forever a villain in my eyes, despite everything he did for the program. Others may disagree, but going to DePaul is a step too far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:00 am 

You can go back in my timeline here and see that I (trying not to be an a-hole) sternly critiqued the decision by BOTH Bryan Mullins AND Porter Moser going to Southern Illinois and Oklahoma. No wait, nevermind, I'll go back myself....

I posted this on Tuesday, March 12, 2019 about the possibility of Mullins going to SIU.....

Quote:
Here's a question.... should Mullins want the job?

Consider the way Hinson was pushed out after finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in the league in his last four years. Last year, he was OT from getting to the Arch Madness final, and 2nd in league play to a team that went on to the Final Four. He was 10 games above .500 in conference play in the past 4 years, which is probably second to only Illinois State. And that got him fired and jeered out of the arena at his last game.

SIU has the 2nd lowest budget in the league, declining enrollment, budget deficits, frozen staff salaries, and some programs being moved to their branch in Edwardsville. They're in an area with declining population, declining or stagnant income, and it's 105 miles to the nearest town with more than 30,000 people. They're 18 miles from the closest Interstate ramp, and Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois (20 miles away in Marion) has commercial service to one city.... St. Louis, where you are able to transfer to reach other destinations.

There are a lot of "safer" first head coaching jobs that Mullins could take... in the OVC, in the Summit League, in the Horizon, etc. And almost all of the safer choices are also in more appealing places to live, with less intense scrutiny and more institutional support or latitude.

Here's what I wrote about Moser on Jan 29 of this year:

Quote:
I lived briefly in Oklahoma, and it is such a severe lifestyle and cultural change from Chicago that you have to assume that someone who moves there who is NOT in desperation must hate where they came from or the situation they were in. Or they must have deluded themselves (like I may have when taking the job there that I took).

Either way, walking away from what Porter Moser left at Loyola was a minor act of violence, IMO. Self destruction, stern self-correction, a hard challenge to one's self? Yes, there was a lot of money. But how much-- how far-- would you let your comfortable, open lifestyle and a non-judgmental view of other people be dragged down into a self-centered, sequestered, insular lifestyle where you're on the local news every night, your sport is third or fourth most important in the scheme of things but if you don't produce at the top level you're gone, etc. If he'd taken the St. Johns job and done well, he'd be better off, wouldn't he? Porter was about 5-10 years too old and too invested in the outcome for that OU job to be anything but trouble and pressure and oppressively invasive. If he got canned tomorrow, he'd never have to work again and he could move back to Chicago. But it wouldn't be the same.

And I wrote similar things about Oklahoma vs. Chicago back in 2021 when he first left Loyola. That was a bad move for him-- he had kids still in school, and that place is freakin' toxic. I don't care how much money you make, you have to CONSTANTLY dumb yourself down to show that you're not looking down on anyone else. The lowest of the lowest common denominator rules. At some point it becomes an intellectual suicide pact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:37 am 

JCT you certainly called that one. Dont you get the feeling that SIU has such a minimal budget that they depend on one or two big time boosters who like to pull the chains and show people whose boss by firing people? and Oklahoma may not be much different with boosters having tons of power and control.
I really do dislike Depaul...for no good reason other than the rivalry it was back in the 60s and 70s. But we were independents and fighting for attention in the hot big time Chicago college basketball landscape. It was hard to hate Depaul completely as Ray and Joe Meyer were just good guys...but team to team. Now they are in the Big East we are in the A-10. I do not want to see the rivalry again but if the two schools could join together to promote college bball in the City. Maybe sponsor a doubleheader each year where Chicago takes on the west or east etc....cuz I would not want to face PM as coach of Depaul.
Funny both schools screwed up..LU did not see how college basketball was going to take off nationally with TV becoming a big deal and put no money into the program after the Championship...and Depaul not realizing the market was not going to be that big and stopped playing on campus. LU was the first to self-correct with the building of Gentile on campus.
There will probably always be a rivalry of types between the two schools but PM going to Depaul would really intensify things I believe. If Porter went to Depaul do you think we would ever schedule Depaul while PM was there? Would people feel differently if PM went to UIC ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:56 am 

Don't need Porter to win, he's just a guy who worked here one time. We all need to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am 

My concern is not Porter, its Drew. I think the fact that Drew has history with both guys should be a warning and a lesson he can learn. I would think Porter, and to a certain degree Mullen, were sort of mentors for Drew and I bet he has kept in contact with them. I am sure he has insight into what happened in both places and whatever frustrations they have gone through. Porter "ran from happiness" and in looking at his career professionally, he had his best period right here. Mullen was younger and looking for that 1st D1 job and he played at SIU, so can't really fault him.

Anyway, getting back to Drew, Nick Neumayer had a great thread on X f/k/a Twitter with some great quotes from the post-game after Saturday's game. Just wonderful stuff talking about LUC culture, beliefs, values and how much Drew, the players, really everyone love this program and school.

I responded and I hope it gets back to Drew. My response was simple as follow (I fleshed it out better here, no character limitations):

"Question is if Drew has the conviction to stay here (LUC) and build this into the next Gonzaga or to surpass that. He will get paid more than most people could ever dream of if he stays. He probably won't approach the 5, 6, 7, or 8 million a year some guys make, but if this "home", "family" would he accept the challenge and stay?"

At the same time, the DePaul rumor was also hitting X. I also commented that "its a lesson I hope Drew sees".

Drew has become a a beloved figure here. He has the support of the University, students and, I would think the donors too now. He's found a way to not only keep the Culture, but to expand it. Rebounding from adversity has a way of hard wiring your Culture into the already "Championship DNA" that was here.

I will admit, I was one of the people that had my doubts about Drew, not as a person, but as a young Coach. He has impressed me and won me over. In my mind, he has surpassed Porter due to his genuineness as a person. Porter was a vagabond in a lot of ways. He had stops at other places and was a head coach at two other spots (Little Rock and Illinois State). Once we became a solid, national program, we all knew it was not whether Porter left, but when would he leave.

Drew on the other hand got here as a young Coach and this really was his first big break. He is "homegrown" and has been part of the climb to national prominence. I hope, and maybe I am being naïve or hoping that Loyola has nurtured him and seeped into his blood, that he knows this is the place he was meant to be. Destiny has placed him from being hired by Porter and Mullen leaving opening the door for him. Will he reflect on all of this and decide that Loyola, with all of its challenges, is where he belongs? I don't know, but like I said, maybe I am naïve

Last edited by Mudville21 on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am 

Twitter world and #SearchSZN is ablaze with the Porter rumors today.

I have reached out to my DePaul contacts this am, who are some of their 47 current ticket holders with connections, to investigate into this. I'm trusting them over any burner & rumor accounts.

I will at least confirm this from DePaul's people ----- "We are not afraid to pay top dollar with this hire, so don't be surprised"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:49 am 

Drew is not going to Mark Few us. Our model is VCU, not Gonzaga. The program is more important than any individual coach or player.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:51 am 

RamblerRagas wrote:
Twitter world and #SearchSZN is ablaze with the Porter rumors today.

I have reached out to my DePaul contacts this am, who are some of their 47 current ticket holders with connections, to investigate into this. I'm trusting them over any burner & rumor accounts.

I will at least confirm this from DePaul's people ----- "We are not afraid to pay top dollar with this hire, so don't be surprised"

If I was the City of Chicago and spent the money it did to build Wintrust for DePaul and see they want to build a place on campus, I would be pissed!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:55 am 

440Rambler wrote:
Drew is not going to Mark Few us. Our model is VCU, not Gonzaga. The program is more important than any individual coach or player.

Porter did a Dan Monson on us first.....

Drew is our Few.

So technically we are on the path to achieving Gonzaga status. Until TBD. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next