It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:56 pm 

A win is a win so it's great to see us light up the scoreboard. I would like to have seen more of Miles. I would have loved to see them put him on the free throw line and try to run some offense through him ala Krut although I guess the new rules make those screens more difficult. I just think we have to try things to force movement and make the offense more efficient. Did I hear Drew say that he was limiting Dame and Miles to 2-4 minute runs? What is that about? I'm sure Miles played almost every minute of his HS games and Dame was a stud in the Ivy League. Maybe I heard it wrong because I would think both those guys could play long stretches.

Giving up 64 points to a highly inferior team is concerning ... along with 20 turnovers. Doesn't seem that long ago when giving up 50 points to anyone was considered a failure.

I think that South Florida this weekend will serve as a barometer of where we at. Comparable team ratings on Kenpom, they are favored by a point, but a winnable game. Hopefully we see some of the intensity we saw against Harvard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:06 pm 

Dane is suffering with some foot issues. could last awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:32 pm 

Hitaputt wrote:
Giving up 64 points to a highly inferior team is concerning ... along with 20 turnovers. Doesn't seem that long ago when giving up 50 points to anyone was considered a failure.

You have to put this into perspective. Loyola played a high pace game with a lot of possessions. Goshen shot 36.5% to get the 64 points. 19 points from the free throw line. You’d take that or something similar every single night.

20 turnovers? I assume you’re talking about the Tulsa game. They had 9 on Saturday

ESPN+/NBC Sports Chicago PXP
https://loyolaramblers.com/watch
http://www.soundcloud.com/ramblersn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:57 am 

Whoops - I meant 20 fouls

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 am 

Hitaputt wrote:
Whoops - I meant 20 fouls

Yeah, that's been nagging at me, too. Sending Goshen to the line 27 times is absurd. Tom had three fouls in eight minutes. How is that even possible?

Kenpom has a Fouls Called per 40 minutes stat. Our best teams didn't really have any significant contributors higher than 4.0 fouls called per 40. Here are the stats for this year, from bad to worse:

Philip Alston: 4.1
Jayden Dawson: 4.3
Miles Rubin: 4.6
Jalen Quinn: 5.2
Dame Adelekkun: 6.3!!
Tom Welch: 6.6!!
Patrick Mwamba: 6.8!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:06 pm 

One of my favorite stats from the 2018 team is that nobody fouled out all year.

Defending without fouling is definitely something that needs to get better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:46 pm 

out of my many years of watching LU basketball, I think watching Ben Richardson play defense was my favorite thing and yes that is an incredible stat. The Goshen game and the fouls made me think we just do not have ....the something....to play the aggressive kind of defense we are playing ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:55 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
out of my many years of watching LU basketball, I think watching Ben Richardson play defense was my favorite thing and yes that is an incredible stat. The Goshen game and the fouls made me think we just do not have ....the something....to play the aggressive kind of defense we are playing ?

I'm sure there's more to it, but it feels like a combination of blow-bys on the perimeter and interior players who are very eager to attempt blocks.