It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 pm 

Rambling0101 wrote:
Over last season and the 9 games this year (40 total) we have 17 more turnovers than assists and are -10 games under .500 at 15-25.

Those numbers coincide with the portal, the graduation of a great nucleus (except for Norris and Marquis) a new conference and most importantly a tempo change and offensive overhaul. I think it’s safe to say that with 40 games under this concept, it’s not quite working.

You just can’t win consistently turning the ball over at this rate and certainly not with an inverted Turnover/Assist ratio.

Minus 17, but 14 of that is just the two Tulsa games :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:31 am 

Portal concerns seem to me to premature. We have yet to lose a single impact player to the portal. I think this team is clearly better than last year's but this is a hard loss to swallow. Maybe Tulsa will out perform their current record in conference play but if this team really had turned a corner this is a game we have to win.

Tulsa shot 50% from beyond the arc on a lot of volume. I listened on the radio. Is that just bad luck or were we leaving guys open? Normally if we score 77 points I'd expect us to win.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:09 pm 

A couple things.
1.Had a nice conversation with Steve Watson the other day. He mentioned that bringing back everyone a couple years ago put us in a situation where we had to hit the portal and other factors kept us in the same position. He said they really want to get back to one or two portal kids a year and the rest people that have come to LU as freshman..of course the wild card in this is that kids we bring stay.
2. A stat I love is shots per possession. Everything else being equal it is important. and what effects shots per possession? turnovers...of course shooting % effects final score...and assists give an indication of getting good shots..So this turnover/assist ration is important. I looked at individual turnovers vs assists on the 17/18 team were pretty impressive. Everyone had a plus assist to turnover ratio. THis year other than Dolan and Norris almost everyone is in the negative, all three of our centers with Adelekun almost 1.5 to 4 and Phil ALston committing 2 turnovers for each assist....also concerning is the two guards other than Dolan(5 to /1.5) and Norris (6 to 2.5) are Watson at 2 assists to 3 turnovers and Quinn 4 assists to 5 turnovers...this are based on 40 mpg. So step 1 for us....clean up the turnovers..