It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:06 pm 

I sometimes think that Drew believes he’s coaching in the NBA versus college. So difficult late in games to get iso shots to fall at this level.

Need some action or set plays to pull this out.

To go even further - prior to this game, I don’t think there is a player on the UNO roster that Drew would recruit (maybe Johnson now). And to be up 2 at home (even without Alston) with 3:30 to go is not a good look on the program.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:23 pm 

It’s only a few games in and I am absolutely frustrated with this team - and mainly this coaching staff.

Todays game should not have been close. We needed to have a dominant performance with the week we have ahead of us. This team has individual talent, a good team vibe, and support. All those things are going to quickly wane if we just continue to survive - we should we be doing WAY MORE than that. There were some bright spots today - Welch, Dawson and Watson. Drew better figure some if this stuff out, and quick. For a guy who seems to demonstrate so much confidence, he’s got nothing to be confident about with the way this collective team is competing. He HAS to do better than this - this program and these guys deserve that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm 

Glad we hung on but why did we recruit Sheldon?
Watching that kid on NO drain threes… While we go Ofer…
Why is Ben glued to the bench?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:35 pm 

Creighton is going to beat us by 30. And that's only because they may take some mercy on their fellow Jesuits.

Edit: Phil confirmed out for KC tourney with calf strain. Revised prediction to Creighton by 40.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:10 pm 

This team doesn't have the guards to compete. Quinn & Norris went a combined 1-4 on the day. Often they played together or at least one was on the court most of the game. When you're playing down a man on offense & that non contributor is also a primary ball handler you're in deep trouble. Think we have enough data between this year and last to confidently say Braden probably should have a significantly reduced role. I'd like to see it more similar to Keith's final season. The context of the team has changed and he's just not suited to be a primary guy with this roster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:12 pm 

440Rambler wrote:
This team doesn't have the guards to compete. Quinn & Norris went a combined 1-4 on the day. Often they played together or at least one was on the court most of the game. When you're playing down a man on offense & that non contributor is also a primary ball handler you're in deep trouble. Think we have enough data between this year and last to confidently say Braden probably should have a significantly reduced role. I'd like to see it more similar to Keith's final season. The context of the team has changed and he's just not suited to be a primary guy with this roster.

Finally a basketball mind.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:20 pm 

Nasty. A real metric killer, plus more trouble shooting at the end of a game. And Bryant just knocked off Florida Atlantic, so that loss is getting worse, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:33 pm 

I'm not convinced that Norris is our biggest problem, but he's obviously been playing too many minutes for a long time. If Porter could bring Milton Doyle off the bench, surely Drew could use Norris off the bench. Maybe it won't happen until Dawson is back.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:49 pm 

The hope I had for a 20 win season keeps dwindling...... Later this next week does not bode well.

My observation from today is we continue to play a structure-less and zero disciplined offense. And it may be worst in the nation.

Defensively, OK. We block a lot. But we did allow another guy go for 31 today. This cannot continue to happen.

God bless Adelekun for having himself a nice game today 21-11 and wanting it more than everyone else, but whatever playbook was run today should not be ran thru him - and we should never see the ball put on the floor either.

Des Watson continues to impress and be somewhat reliable. Could he be that scoring option #1 or #2 we much need? Play of the game: Late in the second, he ran towards bench, asked for a towel to quickly wipe off hands, received pass, then raced to the rim for a dunk.

Lots of season to go but here we are, fearing of yet another repeat of last year.... I'm sure this has been discussed prior and in other threads ------ we need to simply do away with the portal after this year and return to targeting the recruits who can be here for 3-4 years, and then hitting big with the gem juco / P5 transfer. In this case, we got a handful of those 3/4 yr commits on the roster who need immediate minutes and development over the 5th years. Relying on the portal sucks, it's evident in our systemless play and Drew's substitution patterns, and this will continue to be a mess to watch.

Truly inexcusable these guys weren't beaten by 15-20 minimum.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 pm 

RamblerRagas wrote:
we need to simply do away with the portal after this year and return to targeting the recruits who can be here for 3-4 years, and then hitting big with the gem juco / P5 transfer. In this case, we got a handful of those 3/4 yr commits on the roster who need immediate minutes and development over the 5th years. Relying on the portal sucks, it's evident in our systemless play and Drew's substitution patterns, and this will continue to be a mess to watch.

Unfortunately with the new rules, trying to rely on 3/4yr guys is very difficult, especially as a mid-major. If they develop well, a P5 school will not hesitate to steal them their junior or senior year. So we need to accept that having guys for 1-2 years might be the new reality, and Drew needs to adjust his system to incorporate new players quickly or we may be looking for someone else who can do that in the near future. I do agree though that he needs to play some of these younger players now over some of the grad transfers before it's both a lost season in the standings and what potential development may have been available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next